just friends.

word count: 1988
tw: slight angst

"y/n, you should come over after school. moms taking riley and i to the mall and she said we could both bring a friend." my best friend, abby, and i were both eating lunch at school. as much as i would have loved to go to the mall with my best friend and her little sister, she was not going to like the words that were about to leave my mouth.

"i can't, i promised awsten i would come over so that i can see gracie and his parents." i winced as the words left my mouth and a dirty look appeared on abby's face. awsten was my ex, who i was still helplessly in love with. although we remained on good terms and still friends, abby hated him for breaking my heart. it was for the best though, as we were fighting every day and never making any progress with any of it.

"girl, be so for real. do you really think that's a good idea? i know you guys are still friends and all but you're still in love with him and i feel like this is gonna break your heart even more." abby said. i shook my head.

"abby, it's going to be fine. awsten and i are just friends and i know that. besides, maybe hanging out will make me realize that i'm okay with that. plus, just because him and i broke up, doesn't mean i have to break up with his family."

during our 11 months of dating, i became really close with awsten's family, as he also became close with mine. we were together for so long that being friends after we broke up was the only feasible option. being on bad terms and hating each other wasn't fair to our families.

"i'm just looking out for you. being friends with your ex only ever ends with you ending up on the worst terms possible or with you ending up getting back together. and, as much as i know you want the second option, it's not a good idea." abby told me. her words made sense but i couldn't get rid of the feeling of 'what if it was a good idea?'

"what if it is a good idea? maybe awsten and i just needed a break." i said. abby just looked at me like i was insane. i shook my head. "no, no, no, i'm being delusional. him and i can only be just friends."

"yeah, if he's gonna try to get back together with you, he'll need a damn good explanation for all the fighting."

"it was my fault too, abby. not just him. but, like i said, him and i are just being friends. it's gonna stay that way. we are gonna be proof that friendship can happen after a long term relationship."

*ring*

"whatever you say, y/n. i support whatever you want, i just also want what's best for you. and, i know that only you can determine that so i'm here for whatever you decide." abby sighed, grabbing her things so that we could head to sixth period. i smiled.

"thank you, abs. you're the best." i told her. she smiled back.

"of course. i love you, girl." she replied.

"i love you too."

we then headed our separate ways to sixth period. just then my phone buzzed.

awsten: still coming over after school?

i smiled before i texted back. yes, i was definitely delusional over my ex boyfriend.

me: duhhh. you got the car or is mom picking us up?

awsten: i drove here so just find my car after eighth period. gracie's gonna be stoked she really misses you
awsten: i do too obviously

aww he misses me. y/n stop it, he means as a friend!!

me: yeah, i missed you guys too :,)

i slipped my phone into my back pocket as i sighed.