better off.

word count: 1257
tw: angst, fighting, mentions of car accident, language

"you're too much!" i yelled. awsten scoffed.

"i'm too much! really?! is that what you think?!" he yelled back.

"you're never home! you always have somewhere else to be or you're working! what about me?! am i not important to you anymore?!"

"of course you're important to me, why would you ever ask me that?!"

"because you sure don't fucking act like it!" i screamed.

"stop being so selfish!" awsten accused me. i scoffed.

"i'm the selfish one?! what about when my car broke down last week?! i couldn't reach you for three fucking hours because you were too busy!"

"it's not my fucking fault you can't take care of yourself! i'm your boyfriend, not your caretaker!"

"boyfriends are supposed to care about their girlfriends, awsten!"

"i never said i don't care about you! why don't you ever listen?! you never fucking listen!"

just then, he grabbed his keys and slid on his shoes.

"i'm staying somewhere else tonight, i can't do this." he said. before i could reply with anything, he went out the door and left me standing there with tears running down my face.

it had been like this for about a month. all we did was fought. that was, when he was home. which he rarely was. he was either with friends, or working on music, or just anywhere but with me.

i knew our relationship grew toxic and that it couldn't keep going on for much longer. but, i loved him. i wanted it to work out.

it was late and i knew he wasn't coming back anytime soon so i just went to our room and got sweats on and threw myself into bed. i cried, harder than i was before. i just missed him. he was never around so it frustrated me to the point that when he was around, all we did was fight.

i missed the old awsten. the one i had met and fallen in love with. the one that was around and cared for me. but it seemed that he was gone. there was nothing i could do about it.

i eventually cried myself to sleep, my sorrows consuming me.

the next morning

i woke up the next morning and, as he promised, awsten was not home.

i got dressed and brushed my hair. i then grabbed my keys and got on my shoes. i wanted to find him and apologize. maybe if we talked, we could actually work things out.

but, thinking back on it, i probably should have just stayed home.

awsten's pov

"thanks for letting me stay here for tonight." i thanked geoff. "i hate fighting with her but it's all we ever do anymore."

"it's totally fine, i get it. you're welcome anytime." my best friend assured me, patting me on the back. i then walked out to my car and got it. i wanted to make it home before she woke up. maybe i could make her breakfast and apologize. we could talk it out.

when i was driving home, i came across a huge car accident. nosy, i looked around and that was when i noticed. one of the cars, which was completely totaled, was y/n's. and it was her that they had on a stretcher and carrying into an ambulance.

"no!" i yelled. before i could even get out of my car, the ambulance was driving away. i panicked as i tried to figure out what to do.

time skip

i sat on my living room floor and cried out in desperation. after calling the sixth hospital in our area, only to find out she wasn't there, it felt like there was no hope. i felt like the shittiest boyfriend alive. maybe i was.

i had one more idea and i knew it was probably pointless. but still, i had to try it.

i dialed y/n's number and somebody actually picked up. but it wasn't who i had hoped.

"hello?" y/n's best and closest friend, wren, answered.

"how's y/n? i passed the accident when i was on my way home. i've called hospital after hospital looking for her. which one is she at? i need to see her." i rambled.

"calm the fuck down." wren said. "she got into an accident trying to find you. she's in surgery now because of how bad the crash was. she'll be okay, but she broke both of her legs and three of her ribs."

"oh my god, this is all my fault."

"honestly? yeah, it kind of fucking is."

"the hell?"

"y/n won't tell you this, but i will. you've been making her feel incredibly shitty for this entire past month and from the outside it looks like your relationship has grown toxic. you're never home. she stays worrying sick. now she's gotten in an accident looking for you because you didn't bother telling her where you were going."

i hated to admit it, but wren was right.

"you're...you're right." i admitted. wren sighed.

"i used to love seeing you and y/n together. i used to think you guys were a power couple. but if you want the truth, i think this healthiest thing for you two would be for you guys to break up and move on." they told me. i nodded and a tear slipped down my face.

"what hospital is she at? i think her and i should talk."

wren told me what hospital y/n was in and i thanked them before hanging up. i knew what i had to do and i dreaded it. i loved y/n, but our relationship really did grow to be toxic.

your pov

after surgery, they put me in a hospital room and told me i'd have to stay at the hospital for about a week. i began to wonder if awsten knew that i got into an accident. or if he'd even care.

but then, proving me wrong, awsten walked in.

"i'm so sorry." he apologized, sitting on tbe edge of my bed. i gave him a weak smile.

"it's just a couple scratches." i replied. he shook his head.

"what happened to us? all we do is fight."

"i don't know what happened. things just went bad. i don't know when."

"our relationship grew toxic." awsten stated, truthfully. i felt a lump form in my throat. he was right.

"yeah..." i said. awsten looked up at me, there was tears running down his face. i knew there was soon to be tears falling down mine as well.

"i think...it would be healthier if we broke up." he told me. my heart broke on the spot. he was absolutely right but my heart still broke. as much as i loved him, we weren't good for each other anymore.

"y-you're right." i agreed, feeling my tears fall down my face freely now.

"i wish it didn't have to end like this. i'm sorry."

"yeah, i am too."

awsten got up and walked to the door. he looked back at me one last time.

"just take care of yourself. okay?" he told me. i nodded.

"you too." i replied.

he then walked out, leaving me to break into heavy sobs. which hurt, considering my few broken ribs. but after crying it out for five minutes i felt better. the truth hurt a little less.

at the end of the day, i realized awsten and i were just better off without each other.