Chapter 3

Lindsey

I was in my dorm room supposedly studying but I was interrupted by the sound of my phone ringing. I pulled it out of my pocket and smiled when I saw that it was just Andre calling. I was exited to talk to him since I haven't talked to him in over a week. The two of us have just been too busy and haven't had an opportunity to talk where we're both not occupied doing something else.

"Hey, nice of you to call me after...how many weeks?"

Andre laughed. "Why you gotta do me like that though Lindsey? It's been like two weeks but I'm finally free. You busy?"

I looked down at my text book and sighed. I had three chapters to read tonight that I'm sure my professor was going to quiz us on tomorrow during class. I'm in school trying to become a teacher. I don't know how Mama did it, but it's so stressful. I could have stopped awhile ago and just gave up since I've been in such a slump lately but I wanted to prove to everyone and myself that what happened to me seven years ago wasn't going to be my downfall. I'm still working towards my bachelors but I was taking my time. Shit. Everything is paid for, so I'm just taking my time through college. It's not like Mama and Daddy have to pay for anything of mine. I basically got a full ride because of what happened to me. I had to write an essay for a scholarship about a hard time in my life. I talked about being kidnapped, the assault and how I got pregnant at 16. And I guess it helped that Mama and Daddy were alumni too

"A little, but I can make some time for you. How's school?"

He sighed. "I feel like dropping out but I'mma stick through this. I wanna change my major."

I smacked my lips. "You've gone too far to change your major now," I replied.

"I know but Ion wanna do this shit for the rest of my life. This is taking too long."

"I know. Trust me, we aren't he only people who feel like this but it's gonna pay off in the end. Think of the money you'll make after you become a doctor. You're gonna be making big money Andre. I promise it'll get better once you start making some money."

"Yeah, you right. What about you? School going good?"

I nodded my head as if he could really see me. "Yeah, I guess. I'm feeling like you, I'm just ready to get out of here. You know I can't keep doing this school thing Dre."

He laughed. "Stick with it Linds. You gon' get out like ten years before I do," he said, making me laugh, "but I called before I wanted to see how you were doing. You remember what we talking about last time I called?"

I sighed. "Mhmm, I remember but I haven't gone out on any dates."

"You gotta get out there and just try Linds. You can't wait on me forever," he teased.

I smiled. "Trust me, I'm not waiting on you. I think it's the other way around."

"You wish. You already know I got a girl in mind but she's playing games. She won't be with me because we're so far away but she won't date anybody else where she's at. I think she's just confused."

"I know what I want. I'm not confused," I lied. Andre knows me like the back of his hand. He knows I'm lying about being confused because we've talked about this before. I don't know if I want to fully put my trust into Andre when he's more than 2,000 miles away from me. I like Andre a lot, but not too much to risk the chance of being hurt again. I'm sure he wouldn't hurt me but things happen and I don't want to take that risk.

"Then find you a guy."

"I just. I don't know," I mumbled.

"You need to find you another man. You haven't talked to anybody?"