ch. 17

(Calum's POV)

It was Saturday afternoon and I was at the mall with the group but Michael and Roy. Roy had to work today, but the girls said they'd go with him shopping tomorrow to help and Michael wasn't feeling good.

The girls were helping Luke find a nice shirt when Kenzie got distracted by another dress. I followed her so she wouldn't get lost again like she has already three times. Once she grabbed it off the rack, we ran back to Zoey and Luke.

"Oh Kenzie," Zoey said, loving the blue dress she found.

"That's definitely it, Kenz. Go try it on!" Luke said, pushing her towards the dressing room. Kenzie and I both laughed at him and she walked into the fitting room.

"Why are you so hard to look for," Zoey asked Luke. The girls and I already found a shirt for me since I have a pair of pants at home already. We were trying to find one for Luke, but it was either too small and he didn't like it, too big and he didn't like it, or he just didn't like it.

"I'm picky with clothes, not food," Luke said. I chuckled. "Although, there was a light blue button up shirt that I saw I liked," he added.

"Was it the plain one or the one with the pattern on it?" I asked him, knowing of two blue shirts he could be talking about.

"The plain one. It was the same color as Kenzie's dress," he said, pointing at the fitting room door.

"Well, let's go find it and we can try it on. Stay with Kenz?" Zoey asked me, pointing at me. I nodded and let them run off to find the shirt that Luke liked. After a few moments of standing against the wall and looking at a rack of clothes, I heard Kenzie from the dressing room.

"Zoey!" She called. I turned around my head around, hearing her voice.

"She went with Luke to grab a shirt, what do you need?" I asked her.

"I just need this back part zipped. I can't get it zipped," she told me.

"I got you. Come on out," I told her, heading back to the fitting room door. I heard the door open and out stepped Kenzie in her blue . I stopped as she was holding the back of her dress together. I looked at her and smiled, not being able to help myself as she walked to me, her head down.

"I can't get this top part. Can you zip it for me?" She asked me.

"Yeah, turn around." Kenzie turned her back to me, holding the zipper. I walked to her and moved her hair from her back, moving it onto her shoulder. I grabbed the zipper and zipper it up as I looked at her through the mirror. "It looks really good," I told her.

"You think?" She questioned, tilting her head, trying to decide if she linked it on her. I nodded.

"Yeah, it looks great on you. I like it a lot!"

"How does the back look?" She asked as I moved her hair to her back.

"It looks fine," I said, looking back at her back. She turned around to look at her back frame as she seemed pretty content. "This one fits you better I think."

"It actually does!" I heard Luke say. I turned around and Kenzie turned her head. "Look at you girl!"

"Oh my God, that is the one!" Zoey said, staring at her dress in awe.

"And it's your turn to find one so let's get to it!" Kenzie turned back around to and I unzipped her dress as Luke found an empty fitting room next to Kenzie's and I turned to Zoey eyeing me like she was trying to get me to say something.

"What?" I asked her.

"I left you alone for two minutes and you saw her in her dress...you're not in love yet?"

"Oh my God, why do you keep saying I'm in love with her?" I asked in a whisper.

"Because I promise you that you are!" She said, whispering back. "I wouldn't say that if I didn't think it was true. I think you should ask her to the dance," Zoey said as she paged me to her.

"Zoey, I don't know. She just got out a relationship, I don't want her thinking it's anything serious," I said. "Not to mention her feelings on the whole thing regardless of how she basically hates him." Zoey nodded her head, knowing the emotion I was talking about.

"But I don't think she'd be entirely against it, Cal," Zoey told me. I scrunched my face up in confusion. What did she say?

"Wait, what did you just say-"

"I think I found a white lace dress when I picked this one up that you will like. But stay with Luke and I'll go pick it." Kenzie left her blue dress with Zoey as she walked past me. Zoey gave me a look, telling me to follow Kenzie, and so I did. What does she know that I don't?

(Kenzie's POV)

Calum met up with me as I walked back to the rack where I found my dress and looked for the white dress I think Zoey would like. "You excited for the dance? I've never seen your his excited when going shopping," Calum said. I laughed.

"You are right about one thing: I really don't like shopping." I really hate shopping. But for school dances like this, I love to do it. And I like to help the boys style themselves for things like this. They let us. "I don't know. I was excited for it, but I don't know how to feel about it."

"What do you mean?" Calum asked me.

"I don't know. I just don't know if I'm looking forward to it."

"What are you hiding?" Calum said. I rolled my eyes. How does he do that?

"Ugh!" I groaned. "You're not gonna wanna hear what I have to say anyway so just leave it be," I said. I don't think Calum would have the greatest reaction to what I want to tell him.

"Tell me. I won't judge you," he assured me. I took a deep breath and turned to him.

"Well, Danny and I talked about going together for real and that was when I was gonna tell my parents about us dating," I explained. "And I kind of don't want to see his face anyways, I've been lucky not seeing him at school so, I don't know. It just hasn't been exciting since then."

It's hard to think about having a date to this dance because I was really excited to go with Daniel originally and tell my family about him. But now, I don't have that date experience. I think I'll always stick to a group experience.

"Well, what if I asked you to go with me?" Calum asked me. "Would you?"

"Well, you were going with the boys right?" I asked him, turning back to the rack of dresses.

"Yeah, I was-"

"I mean, I was gonna ask to go with you guys. That was my next plan outside of just going with Zoey. I was going to ask you guys to go all together," I told him. "If you didn't mind. I know the others don't." Calum was quiet for a minute but he then spoke up.

"Yeah, yeah! We should go as group." I finally found the white I was talking about. But then my eye caught another white . I picked it up and turned it to Calum.

"Do you think Zoey would like this?" I asked him.

"She might. I see her wearing it," he told me. I took both dresses and walked back to the fitting rooms with Calum behind me.