ch. 11

(Calum's POV)

     "He looks like a boring box with no creative content!" I was in gym class and I was passing a soccer ball back and forth with one of the nicer seniors, Bray. We were next to Alex and Danny and those three were having a conversation and I just stood there. Kind of listening, kind of ignoring them. 

     "That's unnecessary, Danny," Bray said with a small chuckle as he kicked the back at me. 

      "No it's not. It's completely fair and makes total sense. He literally looks like Calum." My ears perk up as I kicked the ball back at my partner. I look at Daniel as Alex and Bray both looked at their obnoxious friend. 

       Landon on the other side of the new David Spade, began laughing at his joke. "That's not right, man!" He said, still laughing. 

      "Yeah, that was pretty messed up," Bray agreed. Alex seemed to have agreed as well because he didn't look too happy either. 

       "I was just messing, Cal. You're cool," Daniel reassured. I rolled my eyes mentally and our gym teacher told us to go change. Leaving the ball with Bray, I walked out the back exit of the gym to head to the locker room. 

       It's been a week since we had our little get together at the arcade. And since then, Daniel has been acting like a total asshole. It was Tuesday and he still found a joke to poke fun at me with. He's been doing it all last week and yesterday. I have one more class to get through and I am done for the day. But my only concern is getting away from Danny. I really don't like him. I don't even like him with Kenzie because he's a total suck up when he's around her. But when she's not, he's the biggest bully I think I've seen out of a movie. But I didn't know how to tell Kenzie he was acting like this. It honestly tore apart my heart because I didn't want her to think I was picking on her about this relationship when she came clean to everybody a week ago. 

      I finished changing into my regular school clothes and exited the locker room. As I left the door, the class bell rang and the hallway filled quickly with a bunch of kids. But I was caught up with by Bray. "Hey, are you okay?" He asked, hand on my shoulder sincerely. 

      I turn and glance at him. "I'm good," I lied. 

      "You know, it's okay to say you're not. I'm not like Daniel," he told me. "He's always been a jerk like that." 

       "Then why do you hang out with him?" I accidentally blurted. I quickly regretted my words but then Bray spoke up. 

       "Cause he wasn't always like this. And it's weird he acts like this now," he told me. Which, is fair I guess. "I know he's been picking on you and Michael and Luke lately. I just wanted to apologize to you," he said as I stopped at my locker. "I know it's probably not the same because I'm not the one who was making those comments to you guys but, I figured why not get an apology from the nice friend who tries to put a stop to his nonsense." As I took my bag off my shoulder, I opened my locker. 

        What Bray said does make sense. And I appreciate his apology. It's more sincere than Daniel's would ever be like. "No, I appreciate that," I told him "Thank you. I'll just try to stay away from him as much as possible." 

       "Yeah, sounds like a good idea. Good luck with that. I hope he doesn't cause you and your friends anymore trouble," he said as I grabbed my history book from my locker and closing the door. "But I'll see you around!" Bray gave me a smile before he turned around and took off to his locker. I went walking to the staircase and met Zoey and Luke there like I have been for the last few weeks. 

       "Hey!" Luke said. I gave them a weak smile and we headed up the steps. "Danny again?" 

       "Yep," I said. Zoey looked at me as I was standing between her and Luke. 

        "Again?" She asked. "What do you mean again? What's been going on?" 

        "Daniel's been acting like a complete ass for past week," Luke explained. 

        "To you guys?" She asked for clarification. Luke and I both nodded. Zoey shook her head in disappointment as she sighed. "Michael too or?" 

        "Yep!" I said. "But I don't think he's said anything to Roy." 

        Zoey shook her head again as we walked down the hallway, heading to Mr. Hart's classroom. "I swear, he can't stand when Kenzie's close with a bunch of guys he doesn't know," she somewhat muttered, but I still heard every word. She's got a point. 

        Ever since I've gotten closer with her by the week, he seems to always have a problem with it. And Luke as well. Because Luke, Roy, Mikey, and I are four of her best friends here, Danny has a cow because she's not hanging around the basketball guys. I've never seen him have a problem when she'd be talking and laughing and smiling with those guys. But for us nerd looking outcasts, it's an issue? 

        I've called myself crazy for this on numerous occasions but Luke agrees with me. And so does Michael. I truly think that Daniel is jealous of us because her time is devoted to us and not him. We're closer with her than she is with that group of jocks. We make her laugh more than that group of guys. We make her smile more than that group of guys. And if it's not someone Danny knows or trusts, he has a problem with it because he thinks they're "stepping in on his girl". I mean shoot, I've been barking up that tree for the last year and five months. I probably could have had a better chance at being with her and making her happy than Kenz being with him. But, that's just me and my opinion. 

       "Does Kenzie know about this?" 

        "Nope," I said as we walked into Hart's room. 

        "Dude!" Zoey freaked out on us. She cut off our pathway by standing in front of us. "You guys have to tell her!" 

        "How are we gonna do that?" Luke asked her. "If we made mention constantly on how he's been acting towards us," 

         "It'll make it seem like we're nitpicking her relationship," I finished for Luke. "She already knows none of us like him!" I reminded her. 

        "I mean, hell, I don't like him either. But she knows that and I still complain about shit he does!" She said, making her point from her long time perspective. 

        "Z, that's different," Luke told her as he walked to his desk. Zoey and I followed him. 

        "How is it different?" 

         "You're her best friend. You've known each other for years. And she already knows your deep hatred for him so it doesn't affect her as much," Luke said, making mind to their relationship. "But if any one of us were to say something, it just seems weird." 

       "Well, she deserves to know that her shitty boyfriend is picking on her best boys." 

        "Yeah, she probably should, but-" I started before Zoey cut me off. 

         "You either tell her by the end of the day or I tell her," she told us. I looked at Luke with a look of guilt and regret of telling Zoey about this. Just then, the bell rang and the rest of our crew came through the door, followed by Mr. Hart. 

        I sighed and walked to my seat behind Zoey. Setting my book on my desk, I slump my hand on my cheek and wait for the teacher's instructions. Kenzie made it to her seat, glanced at me, then fiddled with something underneath her desk. 

        A few seconds later, my phone buzzed in my pocket. I reached for it and checked it behind my leg. 

Kenz :P:

you alright? You look distressed :(

      Smiling at my phone, I quickly responded back to her. 

Me: 

bad day :( 

      Putting my phone back in my pocket, I look back up at the board when I saw Kenzie look at me. I turned on my fist and looked at her. She gave me a concerned look. I was only distressed because I knew I had to tell her. 

       "I'll tell you later," I whispered to her. Still concerned, she nodded and focused back up at the front of the class as Mr. Hart began talking to us.