ch. 14

(Kenzie's POV)

     I opened my eyes and turned my head as I winced. My goodness, my head hurts. I felt something cold against my forehead and something cool under my neck as well. I took the ice pack from my forehead and heard one of the class bells ring. Almost immediately the door opened and closed rather quickly. 

     Zoey, Roy, Luke, Calum, and Michael all entered by permission from the nurse. I was laying down in the dark room that’s in the back of the nurse’s office. What happened?

     “Oh, thank goodness! Are you okay?” Zoey asked frantically, sitting on the side of the nurse’s bed. 

     “Well, my head is absolutely raddled,” I answered, holding my head as a sharp pain shot through it. “What happened?” 

     “Do you remember anything?” Calum asked me. I attempted to shake my head but that seemed to make it worse, so I used my words. 

     “Not really. I remember the beginning of gym class. What time is it?” I asked them. 

     “2:26,” Roy replied. We only have one more hour left of school and gym was my second period. 

     “I’ve been sleeping for four hours?” I asked, really confused now. Michael nodded. 

     “Yeah, we came to check on you all day, but you were never awake,” he said. 

     “But what happened? Why am I here? And why does my head hurt so badly?”

     “You took a dodgeball to the face,” Luke began. I turned and looked at him before turning to Roy who began speaking. 

      “And when you took your landing on the floor, you hit your head.” 

      “The nurse and the teacher tried to get you out of the gym but you passed out in the hallway,” Zoey informed me. How would she know? Her and Mikey have a class upstairs during second period. 

      “But how did you-” 

      “We saw Luke running through the hallway and we watched you through the window.” I can’t even believe it happened. I think I'm more shocked that I can’t remember it happened. Getting wacked in the face with a gym ball would be something I surely would remember. 

      “Miss. Levine called Marcus, he should be on his way,” Calum informed me. 

      “Okay,” I said. 

      “But hey, we need to get going. Hopefully we’ll see you next week,” Zoey said. 

      “Wait, what do you mean next week? It’s Wednesday, isn’t it?” I asked them as Zoey stood up. 

      “Well, yeah, but you have a concussion, Kenz!” Calum informed me. “There’s no way you’re coming to school tomorrow.” Yeah, I guess not. Damn, concussions suck. "Or Friday." 

      “Oh,” I said. 

      “I’ll stop by later, okay?” Zoey said. Nodding, she let go of my hand. Calum patted my knee as did Michael. Luke grabbed my hand as well as Roy placed a kiss on forehead. He was always the bigger brother to everybody. He is older than all of us and he is our protective big brother. 

       The five left the office and closed the door behind them, leaving it completely dark in the room again. The darkness felt great. 

***

I woke up and realized I was home. I held my head as it felt much better than it was. That is such a relief. What a nice birthday I had. 

     I turned to my nightstand, grabbing my phone as it buzzed. Still on lowlight, I saw I missed a call from Michael that was just a minute ago and that he left me a voicemail. Playing the voicemail back, I put my phone to my ear.