ch. 13

Calum and I didn't end up carpooling this morning since Marcus chose to drive me last minute, so I bailed from hopping into Joy's car. I felt kinda bad because I feel like we left off on a bad foot after that conversation we had. 

      Daniel is just being a douche. Unfortunately, I can't fix that. But having that conversation with Zoey changed my perspective on a lot. 

       "Have a good day today, birthday girl!" Marcus said as I got out of the car. 

       "Shut up!" I called back to him and shut the door. He laughed at me before I heard his car drive off. I rolled my eyes but chuckled to myself as I walked into the school building. 

      I was turning sixteen today and I wasn't really much for birthdays and celebrations like this. I love the moments when I get text messages and calls and people jumping at me that it's my birthday when I'm at school, but all the extra stuff like decorating my locker, throwing a party, or even just a confetti bomb on me, I don't do. No thank you ma'am. 

        I walked through the hallway and stopped at my locker and opened it, placing my bag away and I felt a finger tap my side. "Hey sister from another mister! Happy birthday!" Zoey's voice rang. 

       "Thank you! Now what crazy card did you get me this year?" I asked her. Every year since we've been nine, she always gets me these cards with puns on them. I always get scared when she comes out with a new one because they just get worse. And worse. And worse. 

       "Here you are!" She handed me an envelope and I opened it. I read the front out loud. 

        "What do you and flag football have in common?" I opened the card and looked at the answer written in all caps. "SixTEAMS!" I stared at the card then looked at her. "Really?" I asked her. "Six teams?" 

       "Yeah, I know, it was pretty bad," she said, putting her hands down. I laughed and put the card in my locker anyways. 

       "I'm still keeping it so, thank you very much!" I gave her a hug and I closed my locker. "Hey, have you seen Calum at all this morning?" 

       "Mmm, no! Not yet," she said. I nodded at her and Zoey walked off to the art room to retrieve something. I went back outside to where our group usually sat and they all jumped at me, screaming. 

       "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" 

       "YOU'RE OUR QUEEN!" 

       "WE LOVE YOU!" Roy, Michael, then Luke all screamed after one another as they tackled me in a hug. 

       Laughing, I tapped them all. 

       "Thank you, okay sure, I love you guys too," I said, tapping Luke's face. He chuckled and they all backed away. 

       "How does it feel to be in this chapter of your life now?" Michael asked. 

       "Interesting for sure. But I don't know. Kinda weird feeling. I feel grown!" 

        "You're body already took the sixteen year old turn," Roy joked. I turned and scolded him with my eyes before I lifted my hand. 

       "I am gonna beat your ass!" I said, going for the hit before he ran away from me. 

       "I'm sorry, I was joking! I was joking!" He pleaded, hiding behind Luke. 

      "Hey, if I get hit because of you, I'm kicking you where the sun won't shine!" Luke warned to Roy. 

      "Aww, Luke! I wouldn't hit you trying to get to Roy. I'd kiss you before I'd do that," I admitted to him. I kinda forgot Michael was still standing there because he was then very confused.