Chapter Twelve

Evelyn was euphoric all the way home. They weren't officially dating but it wasn't as if they weren't not dating. She got home and flopped onto her bed. The feeling in the bottom of her stomach came back and she felt so happy. There was nothing that could upset her mood. Well, almost nothing. Her computer signalled that someone had emailed her bringing her out of the haze. Her heart sank as she remembered what was currently open on her laptop. The article. Anyone that had her password could access it from their joint OneDrive. She picked up her laptop and opened it. The article popped up immediately, it almost hurt to look at. There was nothing horrific about Alessia in it, she could edit it to portray her in a more positive light. Or she could scrap it.
The email was a generic one about overtime from one of her supervisors, there wasn't much point in reading it fully, so she closed the laptop and tried to go back to how she was before. This was impossible as she now had a burden weighing on her mind.

Evelyn woke up, still in her clothes and makeup from the day before. The first thing she thought about was Alessia and her coming over later, she didn't know what time and she still had to go to work.
She texted her to come over around 5, so she could prepare.
Crawling out of bed she went to go get ready, mentally preparing for her first day back in the office.

"Evelyn, I read over the things you sent me from yesterdays match, it looks good" Toby smiled at her as he approached her desk.
She quickly tried to close the document she was working on before he noticed "Yeah thank you"
"What was that?" He points to the very much still open document "The Lioness and Me" He read over the title and she watched as his eyes widened as he continued scanning the paragraphs.
"Yeah, it's just a little draft. Nothing worth mentioning" Evelyn panicked, still trying to close the frozen document. "It's just a stupid thing"
"No no no" He motioned at her to shut up "This is good, I mean, this could be huge!" He exclaimed "An inside look into an England players personal life"
"Yeah but Toby the thing is-"
"Send that to me immediately! Actually, even better! I'll send it to myself" He quickly attempts to send the page to himself, before realising the computer was frozen "Ah, I'll get someone from IT to look at that. Then send it to me"
She nodded, trying to swallow the rising lump in her throat.
She had to find some way to convince Toby not to publish it.

"Marie, fuck" Evelyn felt like she couldn't breathe "I'm going to have a panic attack"
"Take a deep breath, you'll be okay. Where are you?" A car door slammed in the background.
Her hands were shaking and her legs wouldn't stay still "I'm outside my office"
"I'll be there shortly babe, but stay on the phone with me"
"Fuck Marie, I've properly screwed up" Her chest felt tight and she let out an ugly sob.
"I'm sure you haven't" Evelyn heard an indicator ticking "Have you told Helena yet?"
Inbetween sobs she let out a quiet laugh "No, she'll be over the moon and furious at the same time"
"That does sound like her" Laughing at the girls sister "Well, when do you next see them all?"
"I don't even know, we barely spend any time together anymore"
"You could organise something and bring Alessia? Helena couldn't make a scene infront of her celebrity crush"
She could feel the air entering her lungs and she felt like she could finally breathe again. "Yeah maybe"
"Are you feeling better?"
"Yeah, but Marie what do I do? I've really fucked up" She scrunched her hand into a fist, trying to stay calm.
"What did you do? I'm sure it's nothing that can't be fixed!" Marie could always be optimistic.
"So, remember that article? The one about Alessia, yeah well basically, Toby saw it and now he wants to publish it"
"Oh"
"Yeah, so not sure how I can fix this" Her foot tapped against the pavement as people walking tried to avoid eyeline. That's London's attitude toward people in need or struggling people.
"Well, how bad was it?"
"It was when I was furious and heartbroken, you can imagine how bad"
"Did you write about everything..?"
"Yeah" She hangs her head.
"Even about the-"
"Marie, I wrote about everything"
"That is bad, but I'll be there in a few minutes so we can sort this out"

The girl came sprinting towards Evelyn "Eve" She shouted "Eva!" They'd given eachother nicknames when they were young and they just never stopped using them.
"Mary" Sighing in relief, she hugged the girl "Fuck, I don't know what to do"
"Look, she loves you! I'm sure she'll forgive you"
"If I was her, I wouldn't" She responds gloomily "It's really bad"