5.1: Breakdown

Caleb awoke the next morning, sighing. 4 days would be lots of days of waiting. Luckily, assuming Freddy wasn't lying, they would be the last 4 days of the Killing game he would have to endure. He then realized he had forgotten about Hat Kid at this time, so he then decided to go and pay her a visit.

He put his leg brace back on, before making his way over to her room. He saw the little purple and yellow figure open the door with a fearful expression, but it quickly changed to relief and joy when she saw him.

“Caleb!” She smiled. “You finally wanna hang out?” She asked.

“Yeah, yeah I do.” He replied. “I really do. Where should we go?”

“FOOD.” Was her only reply, causing Caleb to chuckle.

“Alright, cafeteria it is.” He replied. “Let’s go. C’mon.”

The two then made their way to the elevator, and Caleb called it down. The two got on when it arrived, and Caleb looked at Hat Kid.

“It's a grim thought…but what would you do if I died?” Caleb asked.

“Cry.” She replied. “Curl up into a ball and cry.” 

“Besides that, what else?” He inquired.

“Well, find a way to stick it to the mastermind! What would you do if I died?” Hat Kid asked.

“I would also find a way to stick it to the Mastermind.” He replied. “If you were killed, I would most likely kill the Mastermind in turn.”

“All for me, Caleb?” She asked.

“Kid, you're one of the two reasons I haven't killed anyone yet.” He replied. “With the other one being Kazan. I can't bear to see you two die because of me.”

Hat Kid looked a little disturbed and didn't reply. The two got off the elevator once it arrived at the second floor, where they saw Kazan all alone, eating some food. Both Hat Kid and Caleb sat next to him once they got their meals of choice.

“Hi Kazan.” Caleb sighed. “You doin’ okay?”

“...Not really. Will we all die here?” He asked. It seemed Freddy hadn't told him of the plan yet.

“I have a feeling we will get out eventually, Kazan.” He replied.

“Yeah! Someone has to be coming for us!” Hat Kid replied.

Kazan looked down at Kat Kid, before he took her hat off and ruffled her brown hair. “...I needed to hear that, thanks.”

“No problem Mister! Now give me back my hat!” She cried, reaching up for her hat.

Caleb then watched in amusement as Kazan and Hat Kid began to play a miniature game of Keep Away. Caleb heard the doors open again, and he heard Rodney sit next to him.

“Hey Rodney, I know we haven't chatted much since the first day, but how have you been?” Caleb asked.

“It sucks, Caleb.” Rodney replied. “Rosie was like my niece to me. And to lose her….”

“I know that type of thing isn't easy, Gerald.” Caleb replied. “You saw how much of a mess Kazan was after he lost Rin.”

“Yeah…yeah, I did.” The doctor replied, nodding in understanding.

“Losing Rosie was not easy on any of us. Especially 682.” The bounty hunter stated, adjusting his hat.

“Yeah, losing her was not easy on it- I mean him, sorry. Force of habit.” Gerald caught himself.

“Yeah. He’s been dealing with the loss way better than I expected he would, though. I'm glad he is.” Caleb adjusted his sitting position.

“When’s the last time you saw Franklin?” Rodney asked, looking concerned.

“During Samuel’s body discovery, why?” Caleb asked.

“...Sh*t.” Rodney bolted, causing Hat Kid and Kazan to look up in confusion and follow.

Why did Rodney panic like that?