1.1: Déjà Vu

Caleb and Kazan got off the elevator, making their way to the front of the crowd in the auditorium. There was a bunch of confused muttering, but the sound of a feedback loop from a microphone silenced them and even made a few like Samuel and Rosie wince.

“Attention all students, welcome to Chains of Hope Community College! Now, I know all of you aren't college-aged, but that's not what you're here for.” They all saw the source of the voice step out from the shadow. And it was a small black and white bear. Rosie and Akshar seemed to flinch in familiarity with the bear.

“If you don't already know me, I'm Monokuma, your new headmaster for this game!”

Caleb was confused and then asked a question he never should've asked. “What kind o’ game, bear?”

“Why, a KILLING GAME!” The other’s hearts, including Caleb’s own, sank to their feet. Now, they knew what was up. They knew all too well.

“Puhuhu…it seems all of you now remember what's about to happen.” Monokuma realized it when he saw their expressions.

“I mean, I am infamous for this. It's about time. I got a group, and I only have to go over the basics. You know the most basic rule: kill someone and get away with it; you get to go, and everyone else dies. That's rule one. Here, to save myself having to talk FOREVER, I'm just sending the rest of the rules to your Monopads.”

And send the rules he did. Caleb felt his Monopad buzz, and he picked it out of his pocket and gave a glance at the rules.

Rule 1: If you commit a murder and three people discover it, a class trial will commence around 2 hours later, give or take. If you get away with the murder, everyone else will be executed, and you get your freedom plus anything else I state. If you are caught, only you are executed, and the game goes on as normal.

Rule 2: No breaking out of the school, either through natural or supernatural means. Doing so is immediate execution.

Rule 3: Nighttime is from 10 pm to 7 am. The cafeteria, auditorium, and other areas to be specified later will be locked and the water and power will be turned off. Sleeping anywhere but the dorms or the nurses office will be punished.
Rule 4: Violence against Headmaster Monokuma is forbidden, punishable by execution.

Rule 5: Giving your Monopad to another student is strictly forbidden. Breaking your own Monopad or the monopod of another student on purpose is also forbidden. If your Monopad is broken by accident, I will replace it, free of charge.

Rule 6: Caleb Quinn, the Ultimate Engineer, is the only student who’s Monopad can unlock the elevator if there is no class trial, due to his bum leg. Samuel Agreste-Toulon, the Ultimate Multiversal Traveler, is the only student whose room will not have the power turned off to his room at night, to charge his cochlear implants. These are disability accommodations. If you need disability accommodations, please contact me.

Rule 7: New rules and modifications to the rules can be made by the headmaster at any time. Rules can also be removed by the headmaster at any time.

A long period of awkward silence passed as Monokuma allowed everyone to read. Then, he spoke up again.

“While we’re here, we might as well get started with the first motive, shall we?”

Monokuma produced a large amount of folders, and set them down in a neat line along the edge of the stage. Each was marked with a name.

“Inside these folders is a VERY detailed description of the past of everyone here. In the order I so please, I will call everyone up to take whatever folder they please. And no, you can't take your own folder.”