Chapter Fifty-One

Not a soul left understood the connection between her and Puck. Not this Roswaal, or the maids, and especially not Emilia.

And it wasn't the kind of thing that she could divulge, either. Not like anyone would have heard her out. Most of the guests in the Roswaal manor were pedestrian; they would stay for the hospitality or convenience for a while, but the moment their needs didn't align with being there anymore they would set off to wherever. If they encountered Beatrice, when she let them encounter her, she was regarded as little more than a cute oddity.

She was seen as an accessory to go along with the manor and there for some purpose that had nothing to do with them or their wants. With all of the strangeness that could be found at the Roswaal household, it wasn't often that she made any kind of impression.

But for the few months when Puck had been there it was almost like being home again, back with mother.

Beatrice closed the book she was reading as she felt a sting in her chest. It was at that very moment that she knew what had happened. She sat her tome aside to climb down off of the stool where she typically sat to open the hidden compartment that was beneath the cushion she had rested on. As she peered under the cushion and flipped through the book concealed within she didn't know what exactly she had expected to find.

Of course, the pages of the book were blank. They had been blank for some time now. She thought maybe, just maybe this change would be enough for them to be filled with something again.

Puck was gone.

He had warned her of this, of what he thought might be coming to pass. He wasn't supposed to be contracted to Emilia in the first place, he had gone against his very purpose to do so. This was his punishment, she supposed. Even then, she couldn't let his last wish go unfulfilled.

Puck had made her swear. Probably as much for herself as anything. Beatrice knew what she had to do. She knew what came next.

****

****

Art by @Skirtzzz on Twitter

Distant thunder trembled through the corridors of the Karsten manor. Winds whipped at the trees outside causing them to scratch against the windows as if they were eager to get in. By the sound of it, just from the tension in the air, Peter knew it they were in for a hellish storm. As he walked along with Emilia, following her back to her room, he thought about the last several weeks of this new life by her side.

Their meeting with Crusch, Anastasia, and Ferris had run late enough that the world was empty. The soft padding of their feet on the hall's thick carpet and the manor bracing against the momentarily gusts were the only sounds. For a moment, he opened his mouth to speak up, thinking that they should stop by the room where Steve and Meili resided. But there was a good chance they could disturb Rem or Elsa or whoever else might be inside.