Chapter Thirty-Nine

The fog had to be a tactic to hide their numbers, Kate wondered if that was why he White Whale had waited for so long to actually deploy it. The creature needed to wait until the rest of its family was there. It was wild to consider, but this whole time there had been more than one of these things. There might have been even more than this out there.

If everyone who encountered it was either too distracted or too dead to tell what they had seen and considering that the creature made an effort to disorient people—yeah it all made sense.

The revelation of the three Whales had rippled out through the surrounding area. The soldiers near the clearing in the fog that they had been in glimpsed up to see the creatures while some had caught hold of the new information.

People were running, screaming with many of them ready to give up this whole ordeal and call it quits.

Lady Crusch, the one who had organized this whole thing and the one who up until this point, and seemed to be very on top of things and in control was still mounted on her Ground Dragon. Her eyes were focused up on the sky so much so that she missed the things going on around her.

Some of the others were a little further out from her and somehow Kate was the only one who noticed the brutish form emerge from the fog.

Earlier, the young girl Meili had a few mabeast under her control—now the Wagpig that she had been riding was advancing on Crusch and with Meili injured and unable to enact her control over the creature it was loose again.

When the creature finally snarled and lowered it's head for the charge, Crusch glanced over but was too slow to even get er weapon at the ready.

Kate loosed a pair of arrows nocked one above the other so that they pounded into the Wagpig's thick skin. Her dark hair flashed against the light as Kate fell into a dash, strafing around the target and trying to attract its attention away from the much closer Crusch.

"Look out!" Kate yelled.

Though Crusch had been looking, this was the thing that caused her to realize what she was witnessing. Kate's arrows peppered the Wagpig, sticking into its head and the shoulder area.

The beast leapt, covering more ground than would have seemed possible for a creature that size. Kate was forced to go down onto her knees and drop back into a slide. She skirted across the ground and narrowly missed being rammed by the Wagpig.

There was a rush of air and from behind Kate and she turned to see a torrent of thick fog barreling at her like it had been fired out of a tube at hyper speed.

Unable to do anything else, Kate braced for it overtaking her fully expecting to be wiped from existence.

Sharp lines of wind cut through the air, passing behind Kate and intercepting the fog. Crusch had drawn her sword and cut through the air and severed the fog in its path.

A second later one to the Whales broke through the fog. Kate was just enough to the side of it that she could see the spot where its eye had once been staring back at her. The empty socket still wet with fresh blood where Wilhelm had plunged his sword in and dug the eye out.

So this is the original.

It didn't really make sense to Kate why this Whale, the one that they had been find wearing down since they got here would put itself in this kind of danger, but perhaps it needed to lead the charge?

The Wagpig glanced to the Whale too, seemingly as confused by the presence of the much larger mabeast as the humans that it would usually be fighting.

While the creature was distracted by its would be comrade, it was Deadpool that finished it off. Kate caught a fleeting glimpse of him out of the corner of her eye as he charged toward the White Whale and Wagpig, drawing the dual katanas that he wore on his back. He jumped up on the side of the White Whale's face, dragging his katana through its thick skin as he ran to steady himself on what was essentially a nearly vertical surface.