Chapter Thirty-Three

Something loud banged against a door, causing the wall to rattle. Peter shot upright in the bed, feeling the chilled air against is skin. He glanced around to see a familiar sight, but one that he didn't quite understand.

Before him was a floor covered in dirty clothes with little patches of carpet showing through the clutter. Peter turned to see the Palin desk against the wall with the computer, cobbled together from second hand parts sitting on the desk next to a mound of Star Wars Legos half built and laid out all organized.

"What?" Peter barely said the words out loud, he just mouthed them lightly.

"Peter! You're going to be late," he could hear May's footsteps moving through the apartment, her voice was muffled by the walls.

He went to sit up in the bed, moving against the mattress only to feel a spring jab at him from beneath the surface. Everything was just the way it had been the morning that he had last woke up in this bed.

"Um, I'm coming May," Peter replied.

Peter rolled out of the bed onto the floor and scrambled across the room to rifle through a mound of clothes that he knew to be clean enough. That was his system.

He dressed, slipping into a gray longline t-shirt with jeans, and a pair of sneakers. Instinctively, Peter glanced down to check his wrists. His web shooters were absent, he could feel it but sometimes he really didn't even notice them there and he needed to check.

Peter mounted a search for them, but didn't see them anywhere. He still bothered to throw on a plaid button down that he left open. A moment later May was yelling for him again.

He stepped out into the hallway of the apartment and gave May a hug. "Love you, May," he said.

"Love you too, call me if you end up in detention because you're late," she said with a little smirk.

Late, right. Peter bounded down the hall to the staircase that he took two at a time until he was on the ground floor and out the door. It wasn't that far of a walk and the next bus wouldn't come in time.

As he walked through the city streets with that small of car exhaust, cigarette smoke, and the aromas of various foods spilling out of the bodegas and eateries. It was all just as he remembered it.

But this wasn't supposed to be what was going on. He had gone to space with Mister Stark and then he had died there on the planet Titan, and then he had been in Lugnica—

He had been in Lugnica. How had he and May ended up back here?

Someone bumped him from behind with their shoulder, he could tell by the way they had hit him that it was intentional. When he turned to see who it was he saw Flash passing him by.

"Watch where you're going Penis Parker," Flash yelled back to him.

Everything was exactly as he had left it. Peter shook his head and walked up the front steps of the Midtown School of Science and Technology. Students were packed in the hallway, moving in small groups or sometimes even waves with a rogue individual darting between them.

He spotted MJ and Ned further ahead, cut off from him by the people filling the hallway. Then a familiar voice called out to him.

"Mister Parker, can I speak to you for a second?"

Peter turned and was shocked to find Steve Rogers standing there, blue blazer opened over an Oxford button-down shirt and slacks.

"Y-yes, sir?" Peter said it like a question because it was one, what was Steve Rogers doing in this Midtown high school and why was no one else reacting to it. He motioned with his hand for Peter to step in closer.