Chapter Forty-Two

A column of wagons had gathered in the road to be loaded, with several of the more able bodied men carrying the injured to get them situated for the ride back. Crusch had taken to overseeing another group, the soldiers that were lifting the White Whale's horn so that it could be carted to the city.

Of course, with a reputation like Crusch commanded, anyone who heard the tale would believe her. There was just something about being able to show a trophy that succinctly represented the fruits of their hard work. Rem watched, standing alongside one of the covered top wagons, her hands resting on her aching sides.

Rem was aware she reached her limit after the whale, but once the adrenaline wore off the stress that she had put on her body hit her in waves. Still, with her ability to recover quickly, she would be good in a couple of days at the most. She glanced over her bare shoulder, past the tattered bits of her uniform, at the young girl sleeping on the floor of the wagon. Seeing Meili, curled up in this manner reminded Rem of first finding this same girl in the forest.

She had been trying to deceive them back then, but Rem found herself worried about the child now. Meili had passed out in her effort to control the White Whale. Who knows, maybe if she had been successful it could have saved more lives and tons of effort.

"She has always been something of a heavy sleeper." Elsa Granhiert limped forward, holding onto her arm where she had been cut earlier. It didn't appear that she had used her healing on these last wounds. Possibly there was a limit to that power, but Rem had seen her recover faster than she had ever seen anyone during the battle.

"This girl is your daughter or..."

Elsa cut her off. "Oh Rem, you wound me. Do I look old enough to have a daughter that old?" Elsa strolled up next to Rem to look at the girl asleep inside the wagon.

"Then your sister?" Rem asked.

With a sigh, Elsa spun around to rest her back against the wagon. "Something like that. Her parents abandoned her, I found her living in the woods and relying on mabeasts for protection. Of course, I didn't know that when I killed them. I couldn't very well leave her alone in the forest." Elsa shrugged.

"So, I brought her home with me, taught her to read and write, and speak," Elsa paused, counting off the things on her fingers. "All kinds of basic etiquette-"

Rem cut her off. "You taught her all of that?"

"You seem shocked." Elsa pressed a hand to her chest, leaning back as if offended.

"It's just from what I've heard about you it didn't seem like you were capable of much besides violence," Rem said.

Elsa pointed to Rem. "You own something that is proof of that. Steve seemed very impressed with my handiwork on the doll."

Rem's cheeks reddened. "It was quite nice, actually."

In the distance Steve was helping some people with carrying supplies toward the triage area. Rem had been restricted from activity entirely by Crusch and Steve, mostly Steve. He had become so worried after hearing about the idea of a gate breaking and he wasn't prepared to take any chances.

"I may be a murderer, but I don't murderer without reason," Elsa said shrugging. "Mostly."

"So someone hired you to attack Miss Emilia. And your sister to attack Arlam Village..." Rem trailed off.

Elsa raised her hands, a small smile plastered across her lips. "You know I am not at liberty to discuss those things."

"Why not?" Rem asked.

"Because I don't want to end up dead or worse. And I would hate for punishment to fall on her." Elsa pointed at her adopted sister.

A slow sigh escaped Elsa as she leaned against the cart and folded her arms. "The White Whale has nothing on the things I've seen. Being erased from memory would be a blessing compared to that."