Chapter Sixteen

They found Roswaal stalking through the hallways in the dull light that spilled through the windows. The rain had actually gotten heavier and with it the clouds had grown thicker. Even if a window was opened, the cold air seemed to stay contained within the manor.

Roswaal must have heard the two of them coming up behind him, he stopped but didn't turn to face them. "My, my, my—to what do I owe the pleasure of you two strapping gentlemen gracing me with your presence?"

As they closed in on him, Peter sneezed inside of the suit again. "Sorry," he said. "We were just wondering..."

When Roswaal turned to face them, his dark hair swishing to the side, Peter caught a glimpse of the Margrave's clothing: his cloak and coat were fur lined and the shirt beneath them was of a heftier material. Lord Roswaal cocked his head to the side, as if awaiting the rest of the question.

"Hmm?"

It was Steve that vocalized it first. "So you've noticed the cold also. Obviously he's not the cause of it, then?"

"Me? The cause of this?" Roswaal said, pressing his gloved hand to his chest. "I assure you that it is not me and to be honest I am not privy to exactly what is at the root of all this," he said.

"It isn't possible for the cold to get outside of this manor," Roswaal continued, "And there are only two mages here competent enough, besides myself obviously, to pull that off."

"Miss Beatrice and, I guess, Puck and Emilia," Peter said.

Roswaal nodded. "It might be best if we go see them."

"Beatrice might be hard to track down, but I already asked her about this," Steve said.

With a flourish of his cape Roswaal turned to lead the way. "Then it sounds like it is off to Miss Emilia's room," he said.

The trio moved down the hall toward the main corridor where most of their rooms were situated, except for Lord Roswaal's. As the neared the door to Emilia's room there was this strange energy in the air. It wasn't Peter's tingle, but it was almost like a low level of electricity was racing across his skin and making his hair stand on end.

"Do you feel that?" Peter asked.

Roswaal looked back at him, there was a hint of shock on his face. "There's an incredibly dense cloud of mana in the air here," the Margrave said. "I'm shocked you could detect it." He kept his voice low, though there was almost a howl in the air from the slight wind that emanated from the door to Emilia's room.

With a finger held up to caution them, Roswaal stepped forward and knocked on her door. "Miss Emilia, it pains me to call on you like this, but may I speak with you?"

"Lord Roswaal!" Emilia seemed shocked to hear someone outside of the door. Her voice was muffled by the sound of the air currents and the walls. There was a slight crash as something in the room tipped over onto the floor. "Oh, dear. It's fine!" Emilia insisted. "Don-don't come in here. It's quite a mess. I'm quite a mess!"

Steve was just about to step forward when Peter flagged him down to stop. Roswaal looked back at the two of them as they were deciding who should speak and made the choice for them: he pulled Peter forward by the shoulders and pushed him against the door so that he bumped it. After that Peter felt compelled to knock for real.

"What's up, Emilia," he said trying to keep his teeth from chattering. He could only fire up the warmer in the suit so often if he wanted his battery to last for any amount of time. "Look, things are pretty weird out here right now and I just wanted to ask if you knew anything about it—like there's ice on the floor and it's about fifty degrees colder in the manor than...outside."