Chapter Nine

There was a howl of wind that rushed over the caravan, shaking the carriages and wagons as a huge winged shadow passed over and dropped something ahead in the road. That hit with a loud thud that kicked up dust like something had drilled slightly into the dirt that made up this trail.

Wade Wilson glanced up as he took a drink from the canteen. "Oh, here it comes," he said. "Thanks for this, by the way." He raised the canteen to Morgol with a nod.

Before the dust could cleared a figure stepped through shrouded in a tattered black cloak that only barely concealed the leather armor that he wore over his chest. He was a moderately tall man with a full beard trimmed low so that it was cropped close to his face and long, brown hair. His resting face was a bit of a scowl, though Wade knew that's all it was as Bucky Barnes had made a point of turning his life around.

As Bucky made his way toward the lead wagon a dark skinned, winged man swooped in behind him, the wings folding in on themselves until they were concealed behind his back. His hair was cut low, though not as finely edged up and even as it had been when they first arrived and he had forgone the facial hair entirely. And his armor was a stripped down and partially modified version of what he had wrong on the other world.

The combat goggles had stopped working by this time, but Sam Wilson still used them to keep the dust and glare out of his eyes when he flew.

"No super-hero landing?" Wade asked pointing out at them. "Buck, you were hidden in that dust cloud! If you did the thing I couldn't even see it."

"What's going on up there?" Came a shout from one of the other carriages behind the lead.

Wade pushed the pistol into Morgol's face. "Tell them to stay back there or I swear to Volcanica that I will splatter your brains all over this sad wooden bench seat."

"Nothing! It's private! Stay there!" Morgol shouted.

Sam Wilson, the man who had just landed with the wings, jogged the rest of the way over. "Wade, could you put a lid on the crazy for just a moment. Stop sticking that gun in the man's face."

"It's not loaded. Since I ran out of bullets the first day we were here," Wade said before leaning close to Morgol. "How was I supposed to know those people with wolf heads weren't werewolves?"

Wade hopped down from the seat behind the ground dragons and walked over next to Sam just as Bucky Barnes reached them. "Calm down Chocolate Bear," he said caressing Sam's face.

"I told you to cut that shit out!" Sam slapped his hand away.

Bucky held his gloved hands up. "Let's hold off on the sticking deadly weapons in people's faces until we figure out if these are the people that we're looking for," said Bucky.

"I don't even have bullets," Wade said.

"You told Crusch that you were going to keep Wade in line," Bucky said getting in Sam's face.

"I said that we were going to watch him," Sam explained. "We're supposed to be out here doing our part to find members of the Witch Cult, but we can't exactly trust Wade to stay back in the capital without some kind of incident."

"Why would you think you could volunteer me for that?" Bucky said.

"Well, we're supposed to be acting as a team here since Lady Crusch is trusting us to do this!"

There was an eerie silence around them that made Sam, Bucky, and Wade look up toward Morgol. The man smiled deeply, his body took on this suddenly limp appearance similar to a puppet with its strings cut. He began to cackle and laugh hysterically.