sept - sex school

the sun had just begun its ascent over the horizon when angel decided to pay her mother, jean, a visit in the comfort of her bedroom. the morning light painted the room in soft hues, and angel's footsteps were almost inaudible as she approached her mother's bedside.

jean, who was attempting to fasten her shoes, looked up with a surprised expression when she noticed her daughter's presence. her normally nimble fingers struggled to grasp the buckle as her feet had swollen due to the advancing stages of her pregnancy.

"hey, mum," angel greeted softly, her concern evident in her voice as she made her way over to the bed.

jean smiled warmly at her daughter, though a hint of embarrassment lingered in her eyes. "good morning, angel. i wasn't expecting you to see me like this."

angel knelt down, her movements graceful as she gently took one of her mother's swollen feet into her hands. "it's alright, mum. let me help you with those shoes."

with careful tenderness, angel began to thread the shoelaces through the eyelets, her fingers nimble and patient. she could see the relief in her mother's eyes as the shoes slowly began to conform to her swollen feet.

"thank you, angel," jean said with genuine gratitude. "this pregnancy is taking a toll on my body more than i anticipated."

angel nodded empathetically, her love for her mother evident in her actions. "don't worry, mum. i'm here to help you whenever you need it."

with both shoes finally secured, jean sighed in relief. her attention then shifted to her daughter, who was not wearing her school uniform as was customary for a school day. "angel, why aren't you in your school uniform, sweetheart?"

angel's shoulders lifted in a nonchalant shrug, her gaze momentarily falling to the bedroom floor. "i'm not going to school today. i don't feel well."

a concerned furrow appeared on jean's brow. "you don't look sick, angel."

angel offered a weak smile, one that attempted to mask her true feelings. "i'm not physically sick, mum. i just need a break."

jean studied her daughter's face, sensing that something more was going on beneath the surface. "are you well enough to go to your therapy session?"

angel's eyes brightened with sincerity as she nodded. "yes, mum. i won't miss that. it's important to me."

jean gently brushed a strand of hair away from angel's face and placed a loving hand on her cheek. "alright, sweetheart. you go to your therapy session, and if you ever want to talk or need anything, remember that i'm here for you too."

angel's eyes welled up with gratitude, and she leaned into her mother's comforting touch. she knew that she had the unwavering support and love of her family, even on days when she just needed a break from seeing hope.

the words slipped out of angel's mouth almost involuntarily, like a secret she couldn't bear to keep any longer. the two had gone down to eat breakfast and sat at the table with otis.

"maeve and i are on a break," angel said softly, her gaze fixed on the tea swirling in her cup.

jean, who had been taking a sip of her tea, paused and looked at her daughter with concern. she set her cup down gently and leaned forward. "angel, are you okay? what happened?"

angel's shoulders tensed, realising that she had just opened a door she might not be ready to walk through. she shook her head as if trying to erase her previous statement. "never mind, mum. it's not important."

but jean, being both a mother and a therapist, couldn't let it go. she had always encouraged open communication within their family. "angel, you can talk to me about anything. if something is bothering you or if there's something you need to discuss, i'm here for you."