004 - Memories

HAVING a day off would've been amazing if it weren't for that Greenie walking around too.

Siren loved those days. Once in a few weeks no running, no waking up early, no worries about getting killed. But now she remembered the Greenie and would rather risk her life than spend a day close to him.

She was later for breakfast and luckily didn't spot him. Fry handed her a toast to eat, which she did in the corner of the Glade, just like last night. She crossed her legs on the grass, having perfect view of the black tattoo she had on her ankle.

Yes, a tattoo.

She already had it when she came up in the Box. Three small rings next to each other. The bended edge of the first ring faded into the second one, and so did the second one to the third.

She tried to make up theories of what it could be from, but didn't get any further than some weird cult she might've been in.

First, this tattoo, then healing super fast, and singing so high-pitched that she got a vague memory of windows breaking... that couldn't have been a coincidence, could it?

Soon, she forced herself to shake out of her thoughts and got up to put away her now empty plate. Siren came across working boys. Builders, Track-Hoes (she didn't get that weird name either), and Baggers walking around like bodyguards.

On her left stood an unsteady building. The Homestead. Upstairs were rooms for patients with bad medical conditions. Downstairs a big area where the boys that were able to resist the smell of sweat slept. Siren was very grateful for her hut.

Next to the Homestead was the Med Hut, where the Med-Jacks worked. Also known as doctors. Jeff, Clint, and Reeve.

"You're a Runner, right?"

She stopped right in her tracks. Took a deep breath in. Closed her eyes before opening them again. "Yes, I am, Greenie." And she continued walking.

"What's it like?" The boy had to speed up his pace to catch up with Siren's. She tightened her jaw, already annoyed this guy kept asking her questions that were honestly not his business.

"Beside the fact that it's risking my life everyday, yeah, pretty fun. I'm freed from those annoying Greenies!"

He ignored her insult. "Why aren't you in there today?"

"I retired. Once you turn twenty you're retired forever."

"What?" She could hear his breathing stop for a second. "Retire? You're twenty?"

"You're the most idiotic idiot ever." Siren sighed and stopped walking to fully turn to the brunette. "Can you just leave me alone?"

One of his eyes narrowed. "Why are you so mean?"

"I'm not mean."

"Yeah, you are. And it's rude! Why are you so rude to me?"

"I'm not worse than Alby, Crackhead." The name sprung out of her mouth unwillingly, but she acted like she never said it. "Leave me alone."

"You're definitely worse than Alby." He caught up with her walk again. "How can I be a Runner? Do I like, audition or something? Do a lil' dance? Run around a bit?"