045 - 'Date' Dinner

APPARENTLY, Siren had slept in to an unusual late time, and after the whole kitchen talk, it was already time for dinner. Frypan was the one who cooked for the whole Right Arm, just like he did for the Gladers, weeks ago.

Siren only chose for mashed potatoes. Her appetite wasn't exactly perfect after everything that happened. But time would change it, eventually.

She asked Thomas to eat with her, which he had reply 'yes' to before she could even finish the sentence, then he told her he knew a nice, less crowded place.

Siren admired both Thomas and the woods they walked in. Even with the hotness, the trees gave off a cooler vibe. It was darker, green, a bit clammy, yet indeed, a nice place, partly because Thomas was there too.

"I'm so sorry for all the questions they asked," he muttered. "They shouldn't have. It's only been a day since you arrived and the fact that the questions they're asking aren't even 'are you okay' or 'what do you need' is the worst." He grumbled.

Siren almost smiled at his irritated statements, but she understood this was kind of the truth, though she didn't like to admit it.

"Thanks, Crackhead."
When Thomas stopped walking in front of a big tree that looked perfect to sit under, she did.

"Wait." Thomas pulled off his jacket and bent down. "Butt up." With a chuckle, Siren did as she was told, and Thomas slid the jacket on the ground under her, so nothing would get dirty. "There ya go."

"Thank you." She smiled again. God, she smiled so much around him, no matter what.

Thomas sat down next to her, his knees pulled up.

"So... how's life here? Like the Glade or different?"

"I'd say it's pretty much like The Glade. Well, there's no maze, luckily, but meals are the same. You wait in line, get your food, and go eat wherever you want. Just like The Maze was forbidden territory for non-Runners, getting close to WICKED's way station is forbidden for anyone but Vince and Jorge, and maybe some other grown ups."

Siren hummed. "So we're under the watch of adults now. That's... awesome."

Thomas laughed at the girl. "Well, no one's gonna stop me from breaking rules."

She laughed too, blushing as she did. "I have noticed. And it's not gonna stop me either. Because I don't even know the rules. Can't break them if I don't know them."

"Well, I'm afraid there's gonna be a moment where Jorge says the door has to stay open a few inches." Thomas groaned, but his eyes twinkled.

He grabbed her hand and started playing with her fingers. Siren guessed that was because he wasn't able to sit still for a minute.

"Not as long as he doesn't know we're dating. But obviously we will them tell."

"Yup." Thomas agreed, popping the p. "I can already hear him. 'Hermano, door stays open four inches'." He mimicked, his voice extremely deep.

Siren chuckled. "If he says that, we lock the door anyways. Or block it," she replied.

"That depends." Thomas clicked with his tongue as he continued intertwining his fingers with Siren's over and over again.

"On?"

"On if there will come a moment we need to lock the door."

Siren's face grew red in just a second, and her heart made a jump at any thought that had to do with what Thomas just said.

"I bet there will be," she stated, playing it cool.

"Oh, really?"

"If you insist."