Chapter 19

At breakfast the next morning, Sirius sat alone. When Myer saw that it was just him there, she almost turned and headed back to the dorms. Almost.

She wasn't really ready to discuss all that had gone down in the alley in Hogsmeade. She was actively trying not to think about it. Despite the fact she had done nothing but replay every moment, every touch, every kiss on a loop in her mind all night, while also trying to remember her list of reasons for staying away from him:

He was arrogant.

He didn't take anything seriously.

He was a bully.

He smoked.

He had made out with half their class.

Most importantly he was a Black. One of the most influential pureblood families in the wizarding world. Long-term; it wasn't going to work. His family wouldn't let it. Because she was decidedly not pureblooded, the complete opposite in fact.

So she really shouldn't go there with him. But she had. And she wanted to - again.

So she sat down opposite him. Because he was alone. And he looked kind of like a sad little puppy, absentmindedly moving his eggs around his plate.

"Where is everyone?" She asked casually. He looked up in surprise as she sat across from him.

"Between whatever happened between Remus and Jen yesterday and what happened to James and Lily last night, I don't think any is really up for socialising this morning."

"I guess that's fair enough." They fell into silence as Myer loaded her plate. She didn't notice that his gaze never left hers, carefully watched every movement, noticed which foods she picked, filling that information away. When she finally flicked her eyes back up, her gaze immediately clashed with his. There was so much in those eyes, so many swirling emotions that he kept bottled up behind a mask of indifference.

Remus eventually turned up to breakfast. Jen wasn't to far behind and the awkward tension in the hall grew tenfold.

"James and Lily?" Sirius asked.

"They were headed to Dumbledore's office to get an update with what's happening with their dorms." Remus replied, monotone. "Peter?"

"I haven't seen him today." Remus just nodded. "Then I guess it's just you and me for Sunday morning quidditch." Sirius said brightly. Remus kept his gaze on his plate as he let out a long sigh.

"I don't know if I'm really up for that." Sirius just gaped at him.

"You don't want to play quidditch?" With me went unsaid. Myer swore that was hurt that flickered in those cold grey eyes.

"Not today." Remus shrugged. Sirius searched the vacant face of his best friend. How the hell was he going to snap him out of this? As Sirius' gaze continued to burn the side of his face, Remus' appetite vanished and his irritation flared at the scrutiny. He slid his untouched breakfast away and stepped away from the table. "I'll be in the dorm."

Myer flicked her eyes to Jen, who had been silent since she sat down, she was also staring pointedly at her plate.

"What happened yesterday after you two left yesterday?" Sirius asked.

"Nothing!" Her piercing blue eyes glaring at him over the table.

"I thought you were going to talk to him?" There was a desperate edge to his voice. A slight crack that conveyed the anguish he felt for his friend. Jen didn't seem to notice.

"Have you tried talking to him? It's like talking to a brick wall."

"Just try again." He demanded. Jen just rolled her eyes.