𝟐𝟐: 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐘𝐮𝐥𝐞 𝐁𝐚𝐥𝐥

The Great Hall was a magical panorama of colors and sounds as the Yule Ball unfolded at Hogwarts

The Great Hall was a magical panorama of colors and sounds as the Yule Ball unfolded at Hogwarts. Lucian, having skillfully navigated the castle's halls, finally arrived at the spot where he was meant to meet Hermione.

As he turned the corner, the enchanting sight before him momentarily stole his breath away. Hermione Granger stood there, bathed in the soft glow of enchanted lanterns, her dress a cascade of starlight. Her eyes sparkled with a mix of anticipation and relief at his arrival.

"Hermione," Lucian breathed, his voice a blend of awe and admiration. "You look absolutely stunning."

Hermione's relief was palpable. "Lucian," she said, her voice a mix of joy and gratitude. "I was starting to worry you wouldn't make it."

Lucian smiled warmly, reassured by her presence. "I wouldn't miss this for anything."

They entered the Great Hall, the eyes of their peers following them, and whispers rippling through the crowd.

"Is that Ilvermorny's golden boy, Luke?"

"I heard he's taking Hermione Granger. How do they even know each other?"

"I thought he was going with Genevieve."

Lucian, undeterred by the gossip, squeezed Hermione's hand reassuringly. "Let them talk. Tonight is about us."

They glided to the dance floor, seamlessly merging with the enchanting rhythm of the music. As they danced, Lucian found himself captivated by Hermione's grace and elegance.

"You look absolutely stunning," he complimented sincerely, genuinely captivated by her beauty. He hadn't praised her like this before, but there was a delightful change in the air.

Hermione blushed, a smile playing on her lips. "Thank you, Lucian. You're not too bad yourself."

Their dance became a harmonious exchange of steps and smiles. Lucian, typically reserved, surprised himself by injecting a bit of cheekiness, introducing a new dynamic to their relationship.

"You know," he remarked with a mischievous glint in his eyes, "I always thought you were brilliant, but tonight, you're positively bewitching."

Hermione laughed, a sound that warmed Lucian's heart. "Well, you're not so bad yourself, for an American"

Their platonic bond began to shift subtly, an unspoken understanding weaving itself into the fabric of their dance.

After their enchanting dance, they joined Lucian's friends, Noah and Lily. Noah, unsurprisingly, had managed to sneak in a bottle of fire whiskey, a nod to the celebration after Emily's first Triwizard task.

Hermione, observing the addition, noticed the subtle age difference between her and Lucian. As Noah poured drinks, Lucian took a discreet swig from the bottle, but Hermione politely declined.

The night unfolded with the exchange of waltz music for the lively tunes of the Weird Sisters. Lucian and Hermione, caught up in the magic of the evening, danced with each other and their friends. However, on the periphery, Harry and Ron remained conspicuously on the sidelines, observers rather than participants.

Curiosity about Lucian's school led Hermione to the punch table, adorned with an ice sculpture of Ilvermorny. "Do you miss your school?" she inquired.

Lucian's smile was both wistful and fond. "Not really. If I was there, it would mean missing you. But I do miss my mother. She's a teacher at Ilvermorny, and she had to stay there to teach the students who weren't chosen for the exchange."

Their conversation, interrupted by the lively music, drew them back into the enchantment of the dance floor.

As the night progressed, Hermione, eager to share her joy, approached Harry and Ron. However, Ron's reaction was far from what she expected.

"You're fraternizing with the enemy now, Hermione?" Ron's words dripped with jealousy. "What's next? Inviting a Death Eater to tea?"

Hurt by Ron's harsh words, Hermione argued back, the disagreement escalating. Harry, caught in the middle, chose silence over taking sides.

Upset by the argument, Hermione walked away, her eyes welling up with tears. Lucian, realizing her absence, excused himself from the dance floor to find her.

He discovered Hermione in a quiet hallway, the dim light casting shadows on her tear-streaked face. "Hermione, what's wrong?" Lucian asked, concern etched across his features.

She looked up at him, her eyes searching for solace. "Ron," she began, her voice shaky, "he said some really hurtful things. Accused me of fraternizing with the enemy, like I've betrayed everyone."

Lucian sighed, his concern deepening. "I'm sorry you had to go through that. You deserve so much better."

Hermione nodded, appreciating his support. "It's just frustrating, you know? I thought my friends would be happy for me."

Lucian took her hands gently in his, looking into her eyes with a sincerity that went beyond friendship. "Hermione, you deserve all the happiness in the world. This summer has been the most incredible time for me. Spending days reading books with you, going for swims in the lake – those moments are etched in my memory. And then, the greatest surprise of my life was finding out we'd be spending the year at Hogwarts together."

He paused, letting the weight of his words sink in. "You're not fraternizing with the enemy. You're sharing your joy with someone who genuinely cares about you. Ron's words don't define your worth, Hermione. You're brilliant, kind, and deserving of all the happiness this world has to offer."

Hermione looked at him, touched by his words. "Lucian, thank you."

He pulled her into a comforting embrace. "Anytime, Hermione. I'm here for you."

As they stood there in the quiet hallway, Hermione felt a surge of gratitude and affection for the friend who had become something more. With a soft smile, she leaned in and placed a gentle kiss on Lucian's cheek, a silent expression of thanks and a newfound connection that went beyond words.