Chapter 7

Maedbh's POV

“Can I come? Can I come? Can I come?” Caellum pesters as I stand in front of the mirror, pulling my hair into a ponytail. My nerves were going crazy as I examined my reflection.

“Not this time Cae” I tell him for the twentieth time. He stomps out of the room pouting, probably to go tell Uncle Si, although he’d tell Caellum the same thing. I glance at my phone to check the time, contemplating changing my outfit for the 4th time. I didn’t know why I was so nervous. Maybe because he was the object of millions of girls dreams, maybe because he was my ex, maybe because ever since he’d walked through the bakery doors, I hadn’t been able to get him off my mind. It’s just friends hanging out, I assure myself. The doorbell rings and I frown, knowing I wouldn’t be able to change again, before clambering down the stairs to the door.

“Hey buddy” he grins and I take in his laid back look as I close the door behind me.

“What no guards this time?” I joke, looking towards his car.

“Nah” he says his nose crinkling as he grins. “I’d hate for him to feel like a third wheel”

“This isn’t a date Harry” I warn causing him to laugh.

“I know,” he says assuringly. “But that doesn’t mean I want other people bothering us.” A silence lapses between us as I look out the window at the passing landscape.

“Where are we going?” I ask with a frown when I realize we’re headed out of town.

“You’ll see,” he says simply, causing me to roll my eyes.

“C’mon, just tell me. You know I hate surprises”

“Fine” he chuckles. “We’re going to an art studio.”

“What?” I ask in confusion. An art studio? I thought we were doing dinner.  The idea of staring at paintings on the wall didn’t seem like all that fun.

“I know you. You’ll like it, I promise,” he says, glancing over and seeing my expression.  But that’s just it. Did he really know me anymore? I’d changed in the past 2 years and he certainly has also. I keep my lips shut though, gazing out the window as we pull up to a small rundown building. I look away from it, raising an eyebrow at Harry. This certainly wasn’t what I’d been expecting. I’d expected some high-end gallery with paintings worth hundreds of thousands.

“Don’t judge a book by the cover” he tells me as he climbs out. I open my door, only to have it closed back in my face. I look out the window at Harry in confusion to see him smirking at me.

“Nuh uh” he says as he opens the door for me. “You should know the guy always gets the door”

“Chivalry is long past dead Harry,” I joke, getting out of the car. He shakes his head.

“I can’t wait to prove you wrong” he says. My stomach flops at his words and I have to forcibly shove down the feeling. He was a flirt, I knew that, I couldn’t fall for his player ways. I get out of the car, avoiding the proffered hand, slipping my hands into my back pockets as I avoid contact. He notices, but doesn’t push it as he holds the door to the building open.

“Harry!” a voice calls out through the dimly lit building. I raise an eyebrow as some petite girl throws her arms around him, kissing him on the cheek.  He holds her tightly with one arm but releases her quickly. I feel a flare of jealousy at their contact.

“Chloe this is Maedbh, Maedbh, this is Gemma’s friend, Chloe” he tells me. The jealousy turns to a feeling of foolishness. She was his sister’s friend. That’s it. Not that I had a reason to feel jealous anyways. I had a boyfriend.