Chapter 6

Maedbh's POV

I gaze across the table at the blonde haired boy scarfing down his burger, my eyes skimming over the little details of his complexion I’d long since memorized. The high cheekbones, the gentle slope of his jaw, the small dimple in his chin. He was extremely handsome, given, he’d always been fit. Harry and he had always had girls falling at their feet and it still amazed me that I’d not only gotten one of them, but both. True, I’d driven the first away, yet he was back, wanting to hang out with me. As I studied him, I couldn’t help but compare him to Harry. They had the same lean build, the same longish hair, the same cocky smirk that’s gained from years of knowing girls want you, but that’s where it ended.  While Harry would have gone to the ends of the earth for his girlfriend, I sometimes had to remind Luke he even had a girlfriend. He could be frustrating, yes, but I know he cared for me. Even if it was just because he’d managed to stay in this relationship for a year. He’d been notorious for not having a relationship last longer than two weeks.

“You alright babe?” he asks me, his mouth full of food, causing my nose to scrunch in slight disgust. That’s another thing Harry had always had better of, manners.

“I’m fine,” I say, looking down at my plate, pushing it back slightly. I’d barely touched my food, not really in the mood for being here after seeing Harry today. I briefly wonder what he’s doing, before I force those thoughts from my head with a quick shake.

“How bout we get out of here, we can go back to my place, I’ve got the house to myself for the weekend…” he trails off suggestively, a smirk playing over his chiseled face. I chuckle, giving a small shake of my head.

“Not tonight” I say, seeing a trace of irritation settle on his face, not really caring. I wasn’t in the mood.

“Come on” he groans, his rough hand grasping mine over the table, rubbing small circles on my palm.

“I said no Luke” I say, a trace of anger edging into my voice. He frowns, the irritation now permanently set on his face.

“Fine, I’ll take you home,” he growls, sliding out of the booth, slapping some money down on the table. I sigh, following him as he storms out. Tonight’s failure of a date was all my fault and I knew it. I’d been too preoccupied thinking of Harry, I hadn’t paid enough attention to Luke. But to be honest, it had been such a regular date. We did the same thing every date night, we’d go to dinner at some average restaurant and then maybe a movie before he’d want to make out in a car or go back to his place. And sometimes that’d be fun. There was a strange thrill to hooking up outside a primary school. A place that’s supposed to be so innocent.

He pulls up to my house, unbuckling his seatbelt and moving more towards the middle. “Not too late” he murmurs, his lips against the hollow of my neck.

“Good night Luke” I say firmly, opening my door. He gives a frustrated groan, leaning back against his seat, before buckling his seatbelt again. I frown slightly, knowing he wasn’t going to walk me to my door. Harry always had.

“I’ll text you tomorrow” he says as I climb out, shutting the door behind me. I give one last wave before walking inside and heading up to my room. I take a shower and get ready for bed before settling down on my bed and picking up the book on my nightstand, flipping to the dog-eared page.

I’ve just gotten to the emotional tear-jerking moment when Anna dies and her sister gets the kidney she needs, when my phone buzzes. I grab it through tear-filled eyes, and seeing a text from Harry.

But soft, what light through yonder window breaks

I can’t help the strangled laugh that bursts from my lips as I read it.