Chapter 11

Harry’s POV

When Maedbh stormed out, I’d expected to feel a sense of accomplishment. The look on her face when I’d walked in with Hannah had been all I’d expected and more. Yet, when she left, looking the way she did, all I felt was guilt. Luke sat there frozen, looking between Hannah, me, and the door Maedbh had left out of.

“Well go after her” I growl. He better not let her walk home. He nods his head hastily, jumping up and following her out.

“I guess it’s just you and me,” Hannah says, trying her best to sound seductive as her fingers crawl over my thigh. I raise a hand, calling over the waiter.

“Can I get the check?” I ask. Hannah grins and I realize she thinks I’m going to take her back to mine. Well the joke’s on her, she was headed straight home and I’d be going to mine. From the moment I’d laid eyes on her today, I’d been disgusted. Everything from her choice of outfit, to the overabundance of makeup, to her shallow insults at dinner had just made me realize why I’d never dated her. She was a bitch. I regretted my actions. I shouldn’t have invited Hannah. I shouldn’t have goaded Maedbh so much, the dinner probably shouldn’t have happened at all. I knew I had to apologize, but I didn’t know how. I didn’t think a youtube video would work this time. It’d be too public. There’s no way I’d be able to keep the fans from finding out about that.

The next morning, still without a plan, I head to the bakery to find her.

“She’s not here” Mr. Wakefield says when I walk in. I look around in surprise. “She was in a foul mood so I gave her the day off” he explains. I nod uncertainly. She’s the only reason I came, yet I’d feel rude just turning and leaving. I hadn’t even been here two minutes. “Well get on then” he says with a laugh, shooing me towards the door. He knew what I’d come for. I grin, giving a thankful nod before disappearing out the door. My steps falter as I walk to my car, trying to figure out where she’d be. At home? With Caellum? No, I realize. I knew where she would be. When I pull up to the iron gates, I realize I’m right. I see a figure kneeling between two stones. She freezes as I walk up, finally turning her gaze to me when I come to a stop behind her.

“What are you doing here?” she asks coldly.

“I’m sorry,” I say hesitantly. When she doesn’t say anything, I wonder if she heard me. “I’m sorry,” I repeat.

“I heard you the first time” she says flatly.

“I just.. You didn’t say anything so—“

“You though if you just came and apologized all would be right in the world? Well I hate to break it to you, but the world doesn’t work like that.” She snaps. Crap, I really messed it up this time. She turns back to the stones of her parents and all there is is silence.

It's been a while since the two of us talked
About a week since the day you walked
Knowing things would never be the same
With your empty heart and mine full of pain
So explain to me, how it came to this
Take it back to the night we kissed
It was Dublin city on a Friday night
You were vodkas and cokes, I was Guinness all night

I start off quietly, but I can tell she’s heard me. She tenses, her hands forming fists at her side.

We were sitting with our backs against the world
Saying things that we thought but never heard
Who would have thought it would end up like this?
Where everything we talked about is gone
And the only chance we have of moving on
Was trying to take it back before it all went wrong