Chapter 10

Harry’s POV

I’d climbed out a fucking window. I don’t know what was more humiliating. The fact that I’d let myself think that things could turn back to the way things were, or the fact that I, Harry Styles, had climbed through a window to avoid facing my old friend. I couldn’t think of a more cowardly thing to do, even if it was Maedbh who’d wanted it done. Why she couldn’t just see that I wanted things to go back to the way they were, I didn’t understand. Why couldn’t she just dump him?

By the time I get back to my house, it’s almost three and I was exhausted.

“Harold Edward Styles where have you been?”

I almost jump out of my skin as the light turns on and I see my mum sitting there looking even more exhausted than I felt.

“I know you don’t live with us anymore and that on your own you can stay out as late as you want, but when you’re staying in this house I expect to know where you are and when you’ll be back.” She scolds.

“I’m sorry, I was at Maedbh’s” I say wearily. Her expression softens as she looks at my dejected appearance and she gives a nod of her head.

“Go on, go to bed,” she says, jerking her head towards the stairs. I nod my head, pressing a kiss to her cheek before heading upstairs and collapsing on my bed, asleep in seconds.

The next morning I’m awoken to a new text.

Hey sorry about how last night ended

I set my phone back down with a groan. She was messing with my head. She had me sneaking out of windows and reciting poetry. This wasn’t like me. Or at least not the me I’d been the past few years. But then again, she’d always had a way of changing me for the better. I soon found my thoughts drifting to what the lads would think of her. So far their opinions of her wouldn’t be great. They’d heard my stories. They’d helped me get over her and move on to the other girls. But knowing Maedbh, she’d force her way into their hearts. They’d love her as much as I do.  I freeze as that thought crosses my mind. Love. Was that what I really felt? It scared me. I’d been with so many others but none of them had left this feeling in my chest. This hopeless longing for something I couldn’t have. Something I used to have but lost due to my own stupidity. It’s funny, she was the one to dump me and who lied to me, yet here I was blaming myself.  The more I thought about it, the angrier I got. This wasn’t my fault, I shouldn’t be taking all the blame for this.

After a few hours of laying therem stewing in the anger, I was ready to give Maedbh a piece of my mind. I got to the bakery around 1 and I watched the smile that appeared on her face slowly fade when she sees my expression.

“What’s going on?” she asks as the last customer exits the bakery.

“You. This whole mess.” I say feeling the anger bubbling to the surface. “It’s not my fault.”

“What are you talking about Harry?” she asks with a frown.

“You, us. It’s your fault not mine. You’re the one who lied to me. You’re the one who broke up with me. You’re the one who moved on to my best friend. This is your fault. Not mine” I say, each word coming more forcefully than the last.  I can tell I’ve shocked her because her posture instantly became defensive.

“Get out” she croaks and I realize she was blinking rapidly to fight back tears.

“You can’t tell me to get out. I’m—“

“I know who you are,” she growls. “But you know what? Not everyone cares who you are. God when did your ego get so big? You used to be a normal person, but now your just some cocky prick. Just get out and leave me alone. I don’t ever want to see you again.” She shouts, giving me a shove towards the exit.