Chapter 4

Maedbh’s POV

The doorbell rings and Caellum bolts out of my grip where I had been trying to smooth down his bedhead and races toward the door.  He’d been bouncing off the walls ever since last night when I told him Harry would be going to the zoo with us.

“Music Man!” he shouts, throwing open the door, and jumping into Harry’s arms.

“Hey buddy” Harry grunts as his arms wrap around Caellum to support his weight. “You’re getting big aren’t you” he chuckles. “Ready to go?” he asks and Caellum nods his head. Harry sets Caellum down watching him race outside before holding the door open for me.  “After you” he says gesturing, with a mock bow. I roll my eyes, holding back my smile at his antics as I walk out. I freeze on the front porch though, seeing some big guy standing by a big black car.

“Are we getting kidnapped?” I ask as Harry almost bumps into me. He just chuckles, brushing past me as he walks towards the car.

“Security” he explains. “I didn’t want mobs to wreck our fun today” That leaves me feeling slightly unsettled. What kind of life was that, where you had to bring a bodyguard with you in order to feel safe? It slips from my mind though when I watch Harry chase Caellum towards the car, scooping him up with a growl and turning him upside down. I’d forgotten how good he’d been with my little brother. That the true reason he loved Harry so much wasn’t because he had been the first thing he knew when he woke from the coma, but because of how nice Harry had been to him since then. Harry sets Caellum down on his feet and he scrambles in the car. Harry begins to follow him in, then pauses and looks back at me. “You just going to stand there all day?” he asks with an amused smile, making me realize I was still on the porch step. I stick my tongue out at him quickly before breaking into a smile and bouncing off the step toward him. I duck under his arm and into the car after Caellum, Harry following after me.

“Aww, I want to sit by him,” Caellum pouts, crossing his arms and slumping down.

“Looks like I’ve been replaced” I laugh. Harry chuckles, shrugging his shoulders slightly and I grin, shaking my head as I stand up, ducking to prevent hitting my head on the roof of the car. “Scootch” I order Caellum, pointing towards the middle seat.

“But I want to sit by you” Harry jokingly whines.

“Fine, you can sit in the middle” I tell him. He laughs but does as he’s told as we awkwardly switch seats. “There” I say as I plop down on Harry’s other side “Everyone’s happy?” I ask, looking over at Caellum. He nods his head, a happy smile on his face as he looks up at Harry adoringly. We get to the zoo, and Caellum races ahead toward the ticket gate.

“Caellum slow down” I shout after him, but he doesn’t hear me and a weary feeling washes over me as I realize how long this day was going to be.

“Just let him be, it’s not like he can get in without us” Harry jokes as we watch Caellum come to a stop in front of the gate. By the time we catch up with him, he’s practically vibrating with excitement.

“Two please” I tell the ticketmaster as I reach into my wallet to get money for Caellum and I.

“Make it four” I hear Harry say before his presence bursts my personal space bubble as he slides his credit card onto the counter from behind me, flashing a smile to the lady.

“Harry” I begin to protest.

“Oh c’mon” he says cutting me off with a roll of his eyes. “It’s like thirty dollars. What happened to me being able to afford it?” he asks, raising an eyebrow, referencing the comment I’d made about the tips.