29

THE KING
~ Arabella's pov ~

"Arabella, is something troubling you?" Josephine asks with concern as she tightens my corset around my waist.

I had been rather quiet while she assisted in getting dressed for the ball. My nerves have gotten the best of me and I did not want to fret anyone.

"I am fine." I share a small smile, but she further frowns at my presence.

"Are you feeling ill?" She further questions.

Ill would be the opposite of how I was feeling this evening. Time did not stop- no, it ran rather quickly, approaching us out of nowhere.

I shake my head. "I wish to not go to this ball..."

"Why? Is it not exciting to finally meet the king?" She exclaims.

No, no it is not.

"I would rather stay home. Perhaps, you would like to trade?"

Josie fills the room with laughter. "I am flattered, but your mother would make a scene."

"Besides, the king wished for the whole family to be there," she then adds. Her eyebrows furrow in question. "Are you alright, Arabella? Is this about Oden?"

"Why would it be about Oden?" I turn my head, facing her.

She shrugs. "I just assumed you two..."

Did the whole house know? I am embarrassed to say the least of it.

"Everyone knows?" My voice is hesitant. I look back into my reflection in the mirror, gazing upon my now dress that I have slid myself in.

"How could you not? The way the two of you look at each other... Everyone can read the room," she retorts. I am tense, standing in front of her as she tells me that everyone knows about Jaxson and I.

Josie coughs in an awkward manner, noticing the change in the room. She frowns. "I am terribly sorry to hear about his leave..."

"He was not who he presumed to be," I let out, distastefully.

"What do you mean?" She tilts her head, innocently.

I turn my whole being fully to her view, and she looks over me, smiling. I hold her gaze. "Can I share something with you that you cannot speak of to anyone?"

"Of course." She nods her head. "What is going on?"

"Promise me," I demand.

"I promise." Her brows furrow.

I was possibly frightening the lady, but I needed to know I had her trust.

"Alright..." I breathe out, worrying her furthermore. "Oden, that is not his name. Oden is Jaxson, the king."

Her brown doe eyes gaze back into mine, her brows are no longer furrowing and her eyes have gotten much bigger. She is stunned, shaken to the core at the news I have shared with her.

"H-How do you know of such?" She stutters.

"That night he left, I followed him and his guards finally found him and they wished for him to return to the kingdom, I am only sharing this with you because I cannot keep this secret inside any longer, it is eating me alive," I explain, clutching my roots, seeming to be going mad.

"Guards?" She shakes her head, confused. "The kingdom? Wait- you had an affair with the king?!"

"You mustn't speak a word of this, Josie. I am trusting you with this," I plead with her.