37

THE KING
~ Third person pov ~

A failed wedding in this day in age is frowned upon, no one wishes to marry a lady who cannot make up her mind, but even if she decides she does not love the gentleman?

Serena's cries can be heard from within the room she had gotten ready in. Her shoulders are slouched, tears soak that pretty face of hers, and her heart is torn in two.

She cannot marry Sir Kingsley, she thought. She cannot bear his children, she cannot live a life that is not wished for.

Her sister was right, she always is.

The door of the room slams shut, and she jumps from within at the shake of the room. Heavy breaths take over her ears and she swifts around to face the person behind her.

Bridger.

Could he not leave her alone? Not for once to let her think?

He could not leave her alone, even if he tried, he thought. He loved the girl in front of him dearly and wished for her hand in marriage, but instead she took Sir Kingsley's.

There was still some hope left after she ran from him and the altar just moments ago, hope that maybe she has changed her mind, that she wishes to marry him.

Their love affair started almost like Jaxson and Arabella's. Bridget seeked out her family on purpose because Serena had caught his eye, at first, she was annoying, a selfish human lady whom only thinks for herself until he got to know the lady in white.

Bridger was handsome the moment Serena met him, but she could not have feelings for a man whom worked for her family, and also her servant- that would not do.

He was annoying as well to her, always in her way of her plans, his eyes lurking upon her at balls, the living room, his paintings, and even their matches with playing chess.

Lust took over her being after a while, and soon they found themselves tucked away in the basement or hiding in that cottage of his with sweaty bodies and gasps between the two.

They were a match that would have anyone frowning upon them.

Serena cared about what others would think, Bridger did not.

"Serena..." He starts, his heavy panting has calmed down.

Serena shakes her head, dismissing the gentleman that she has grown to love. "Please do not say anything, I know what I have done and I realized that I have made myself a fool."

"You are not the fool." He shakes his head, bearing her when she backs away from him. "I am, I am the fool. A fool for you, Serena."

"Bridger, please," she begs, shuttering her eyes in great pain.

He closes in on her, breathing heavily over her lips and that is all they can hear throughout the room. "I cannot hide these feelings any longer, you must feel them too."

"We cannot," she fights, pushing at his chest but he is too big to fight off. Instead, she turns her head and his lips meet with the curve of her jaw.

"I love you," he whispers, sending shivers down her spine. His nose curves her jaw, his breath fanning her neck. "God, I love you, Serena."