38

THE KING
~ Arabella's pov ~

This evening was filled with emotions, my time was spent picking my wedding dress. I was rather picky when coming to a find, but with Josephine's help, I was able to make a lot of no's.

It was either the color washed me out or the dress was too loose. The color of the dresses were white.

As I am fitted in another dress yet again, I glance at myself in the mirror and find myself in awe. It was a simple silk dress with the tailor king behind me, Josephine gazed at me in the mirror, meeting my smile.

"This is the one," she confirms for me and I breathe out.

"It is a weird feeling seeing myself like this..." I trail.

"You deserve this type of love, Bella. You are the kindest soul, this country needs a queen such as you," she exclaims, no longer worrying me.

"What if I mess up?" I bite my bottom lip.

She squeezes my shoulders in reassurance. "You are human, can you blame yourself?"

"Speaking of love, have you not found the one?" I laugh out, questioning.

Her red flushed red, she shakes her head. "No, I am not a lady with good use of words."

"What?" My brows furrow. "You cannot tell me gentlemen have not spoken to you."

"Barely," she answers with laughter. She does not seem to be looking for love at this moment, but I am sure of myself that she will soon have her story.

"What kind of gentleman would you prefer?" I ask all giddy.

She thinks for a moment before blushing. "Sensitive, he is not afraid of showing his emotions whether he is angry or happy, I wish for him to tell me what he is always thinking. I wish for a passionate gentleman, he loves his hardest."

I smile at her words. "You shall get that someday, Josie. My gut tells me you shall."

"Enough about me." She waves off the subject, dismissing everything she has told me. "We shall take this dress off of you, the king has requested to see you at once."

"He is coming?!" I exclaim as she unbuttons my dress.

She nods. "Yes, that is why we must make haste."

"Alright..."

Josephine takes my dress from me, and I slide my own back on as she hides it from Jaxson's view when knocking is heard. The door opens, Jaxson enters with a smile.

"Found the one?" He tilts his head in question.

I nod, feeling butterflies consume my stomach. "We did."

"It is beautiful but shall not be seen until the wedding," Josephine states, descending from the room after bidding her goodbyes.

Jaxson grips my face within his palms, kissing my lips dearly. "I am sure it is beautiful."

"It is," I agree.

"I have something I must show you, I have been waiting all day for this." A giddy smile erupts his face which has my own smile forming. He grips my hands, gliding me over to the balcony in my room.

"What are we doing?" I question, furrowing my brows when he has opened the doors, pulling me forth.

"You will see..." He trails with a chuckle.

Looking over the balcony to take a glimpse at the walls that were currently being knocked down, a crowd of people is overlooking the palace for the very first time in centuries.

A gasp leaves me, and Jaxson surrounds my body with his arm from behind, looking at his people with me. Jaxson has ordered his guards to knock down the wall because he knew I hated the silly thing, it was unbearable, really.

"They adore you, Bella," he whispers into my ear, causing shivers up and down my spine. "They cannot wait to have you as their queen."

As he speaks his words, claps and cheers erupt from the people below. They are happy to know that their king has finally found his true love and while at that, it is a village girl- someone whom is not looking for money, just the love for the king.

"You..." I trail with no words.

"I did this to prove my love for you, this is my vow to always listen, cherish and adore your words and wishes," he explains his reasoning for knocking down the wall and having the city to witness.

I feel his lips press against my cheek. "I love you, Jaxson," I whisper.

"I love you."

***

Roaming the palace has never been quite easy, I have found myself decorating the palace with my style of fashion and making it seem more pepped up than dull. It seemed to charm the guards as they could not contain their smiles from standing forcefully tall against the walls.

Suddenly as I place a vase with flowers on a table, I see Bridger passing by me with unspoken words. It looks as if he is in a hurry somewhere, and he has a frown plastered upon his face.

"Bridger," I start, causing him to face me and plaster on a fake smile. "I wish to speak to you."

"I am all yours," he states.

I cough awkwardly, fixing my dress before beginning to question him. "What is going on with you and Serena?"

"Nothing," he answers in a monotone voice.

"What happened, Bridger?" I sigh, needing an explanation on things. This was all beginning to get strange.

"Nothing of your concern, Arabella." He smiles, but it is forced and he swiftly turns and continues his walk throughout the palace.

I do not give up that easily, I continue to make haste and follow after him; deserving answers.

"She was crying and so were you." I find myself blabbering.

"You must've seen incorrectly, I was not crying." His laughter fills the hall. "Serena on the other hand, was just filled with emotion that day, I mean, she was a runaway bride."

"Do not fool me, Bridger," I commanded, stopping myself from further chasing him. "Please, she is my sister,"

He stays silent, shaking his head and dismissing me when he continues walking and away from me even when I begged him to tell me. I have already assumed such with the way they have talked amongst each other; alone, but I needed to hear for myself that it was true.

Was my sister having an affair with Bridger?