27

THE KING
~ Jaxson's pov ~

A few days has passed and I was dreading every waking moment away from Arabella. I did not mean for it to take this long without speaking to her, I kept no words for my mother as well, I was ignoring her with every step I coud take.

That is until, she walks into my office expecting to speak with me.

She stands before me, her hands crossed over the other in a polite stance. "How is Ugene?"

"Wouldn't you like to know, Mother?" I give her a fake smile, then focusing back onto my agreement.

"Jaxson, you cannot hide away from me forever. We must speak about where you have been for months," she pleads, nearing closer to my desk.

I look up, sitting my papers down to give her my full attention. "I was in the village."

She is shocked, but deep down she always knew I would be near. That I did not go far.

"Did you find what you were looking for?" She suddenly asks and I raise a brow. "You said in your letter that you were finding freedom, did you succeed in that?"

"I did, however, I found something else as well..." I trail and she gives me a weary look.

"And what was that?"

"A lady," I answer. She stays quiet, processing my words clearly. "I worked for her family, I became close with the lady. I fell in love, Mother."

"You did?" Her eyes grow teary, but she is not happy, I can tell I have upset her. "Please do not tell me that you plan to marry her."

"I plan to marry her," I confirm with a nod. "I was to tell you first before I brought her here. She is quite angry with me as of right now."

"Why?" She grits, tilting her head. She then lets out an evil laugh. "You did not tell her you are the king, did you?"

"What is so funny?"

"I should have known you would do something like this." She shakes her head as she is filled with laughter. "Your father was the same..."

"My father?" My eyebrows scrunch with confusion. "My father was a proud man of his family-"

"Goodness Jaxson, your real father," she hisses. My heart palpitates in my chest, my ears ring, and the world around me dissolves into nothing. She steps away from my gaze, looking out the window behind my desk, clenching her jaw. "I did not want to share that with you, but you left me no choice. You run around this palace acting just like him, and I cannot bare to witness it."

My father, the man who raised me, the man who became king and almost destroying this country was not my biological father? And I have lived in this life for twenty five years? How could she?

The man who I have been raised by was a complete stranger, but all my life I thought he was blood. Nothing changed my love that built overtime for him, he was my father, my real father.

"You will not sit here and discuss this with me, how dare you not tell me such a thing? I have spent my twenty five years of life on this earth not knowing whom my real father is?!" I exclaim to her, standing from my seat to step away from the woman who created me into the man I am. I could not reconize her from the point of view, she has become distant, cold even of how she was when I was a young child.

"It is true," she grits out, clenching her teeth.

Could she be telling the truth? Was I truly that gullible?