8

THE KING
~ Jaxson's pov ~

The kitchen was quiet at the Houstings home. I hear ruckus from the basement, and I race down the stairs that lead to the brick basement walls that were filled with maids and Bridger.

His mouth is filled with an apple as he sits on top of the counter. The maids are preparing breakfast for the family and are passing by everywhere I turn.

Smoke is steaming out of the pots that the cooks have prepared and everyone hassles to quickly meet the family's needs. Maids are working on the laundry, and Bridger is watching silently as he eats at his apple.

Some blush when I near and others turn. Bridger notices my presence and nods his chin up at me. He throws me an apple for myself. "We've got a big day, Sir Kingsley is expected to arrive any moment."

"Do not remind me," I huff. Sir Kingsley's visits from the first have been ongoing. We rarely see Serena as she's been swept away by Kingsley and we're stuck wondering where he's taking her.

Throughout the weeks of working for the Houstings family, I have been constantly watching Arabella from afar, she's always on the go and disappears with her mother frightened of her disappearance, and it's up to me to find her.

Arabella is either always stuck in a book somewhere or in the dressing room, something I've learned about her since I've worked here.

She loved making dresses, especially for her sister.

"I wouldn't let Serena hear you say such things about him, she would have you fired," Bridger snickers.

"Of course." I roll my eyes.

A maid passes by us, biting back a smile. She's holding onto a vase, but it quickly falls out of her reach, slipping to the floor. I duck down in a quick motion, catching the vase from falling and handing it back over to the lady.

She blushes with embarrassment, clutching on the vase. She shares a bright smile. "Thank you, sir."

"Oden," I call out.

She nods. "Josephine."

The young girl was beautiful, but couldn't stand a chance near Arabella. No beauty could ever match hers. The girl flees away from Bridger and I, and he watches as she scurries, shaking his head and focusing back on me.

"I have seen Arabella taking a liking to you," he says.

"And how would you know that?"

"She smiles, a real one. She would never smile at a man like she does you," he states quickly.

"Well, right now we're termed as friends." I cross my arms, leaning against the counter.

He shrugs. "That is certainly better than her hating you. Sooner or later she'll crack and she's all yours. You have a gift, Oden..."

"And what gift is that?" I chuckle.

"You're handsome." He places a hand over my shoulder, growing serious.

Bridger then hops off the counter, leading us back upstairs to the kitchen. He takes out a pan of bread from the fire lit oven.

"Hand made them myself." He smiles.

I look at the buttery goodness, sharing a smile of my own. "You must open a bakery someday."

"And you shall be my partner." He hits my shoulder lightly. If only I could, my friend.

"What is this? A man baking?" Sir Kingsley appears at the door frame of the kitchen, teasing us when it's no fun.

I turn around, leaning against the counter and tossing the apple in my hands before I punch this so-called gentleman in his face.

"Come on, men. Leave that to the ladies. Your duty is helping the girls, am I correct?" He questions.

"Yeah?" Bridger then questions the man himself.

"Then where are they?" He retorts.

I didn't like how this fool was speaking to us like a dog. We were human beings just living our lives, trying to make a living and he tries to tease us.

"I was changing, Sir Kingsley. You wouldn't want a man in the same room with me when changing, would you?" Arabella enters the room, brightening up the place with her words. She's in a dark green dress, her corset being black at the top. Her brown curls are wrapped in a nice half up bun while the bottom of her hair flows down to her backside.

Sir Kingsley bites his lip, standing straight at her tone. She walks further into the kitchen, grabbing a piece of bread from Bridger's handmade pan, and slices a bite from it. She hums, twirling to find Bridger. "A true chief."

"Am I right, Sir Kingsley?" She tilts her head at him and his jaw clenches.

"I wouldn't know, I haven't tried any," he replies.

She grabs a piece for him, handing over the bread. "You'll thank me."

When she rears her hand back, he grabs it in a quick motion. His gesture causes Arabella to tense, and he bends his head to kiss the top of her hand.

"Thank you," he says to her.

I bring myself forward, not wanting to seek enough of this. Bridger stops me in the midst, shaking his head, silently telling me this wasn't a good idea.

I bite my tongue, fisting my hands at the touch on her.

How dare he?

"Oden, would you mind taking a stroll with me?" Arabella's voice soothes me and she looks behind herself, gazing upon me and fluttering her eyelashes.

I give her a nod, and she jerks her hand out of Kingsley's who happens to send me a glare that could slice through anyone. But I'm not just anyone. I'm the king.