Sagai

The Punwar home was decked up for the much-awaited royal engagement of Kunwar Shakti with Heer Kanwar Punwar. With the media waiting for bites outside, inside the well-decorated house, the closest of the families of the Punwars and Sisodias had gathered for the occasion in the evening. A traditional tilak rasm was to be followed by an engagement with an exchange of rings. Hansa Bai was running around instructing the servants and making sure everything was proper. Shakti waited at the hall, surrounded by a teasing Jalal, an amused Rukaiya, a blushing Maan beside an awkward Shallavan, Dheer Bua's hawk eyes over the details, his Ranima helping Hansa Bai while his father chatted in a corner with Bairam Khan.

"Humko lagta hai kuch aur mehmaan bula lena chahiye tha." Dheer had murmured several times since the arrival "After all Surajgarh ki..." She had stopped at Jaivanta's stare. She had received the news of Kunwar Pratap and Ajabdeh calling off their much-hyped wedding from Maan. She had rolled her eyes, gasping at what they had decided instead. She called up Jaivanta and reminded her of the traditions of royals. But it was all in vain, for as far as Maan knew, their plans were still unaffected.

The wedding date was fixed after a month, much to everyone's happiness. Rukaiya had decided to be in charge of this wedding and give the couple their chance at a fairytale. Heer was in her room, decked up in the finest designer floral pink lehenga for her big day. She anticipated that her father would come any minute and she would

make Jija talk to him, no matter what. She also wanted Jija to do Kunwar Shakti's Tilak rasm. Ajabdeh peeped in to see Heer smile nervously at her. She walked up to Heer, with a bowl of chillies, for her Nazar Utran. Heer frowned, surprised.

"This is the first and last time I am doing this for you." Ajabdeh had read her stare as she nodded pleased. She put the drape of the dupatta over Heer's head and smiled at their reflection in the mirror. They were twinning in the floral lehengas.

"Jija umm... sab aa gaye?" Ajabdeh frowned at her words.

"Shakti is here and the pandit is too, I will come and get you once the tilak is over. She had left Heer with a sign.

Ajabdeh obliged with the aarti thali much to everyone's happiness. She welcomed the guests, ignored Pratap's stares, and did the tilak rasm just as the Panditji told her to.

Shakti smiled at her beaming eyes as she fixed the brooch they gifted on his turban.

It was time for the engagement and she went to fetch Heer. She held her stone-cold hand and made her walk down the stairs, her heart making nervous leaps. They were almost at the last stair when the media outside was creating a hustle as a car came onto the porch. Heer smiled as she saw her father make his way out of the car.

Ramrakh Punwar had received an invitation to what was once his own house, by Kunwar Pratap. The card mentioned the Sagai of his younger one with Shakti and had no mention of their older siblings. He had frowned at it. He had been in the darkness about them for too long now. Neither the mother nor the daughters had reached him. He didn't expect them to either. He had tried in vain to reach Heer. But when Kunwar Pratap reached him with Heer's wish he was hopeful. That his favourite one would understand. Heer was the easier one to convince. The key to Ajabdeh, and back to the property that was once his.

Heer had suddenly let go of Ajabdeh's hand at the end of the staircase and walked up to the threshold where her father stood, her eyes twinkling and her smile genuine.

Ajabdeh clenched her jaws. Her gaze met Pratap's as he nodded his head at her making her inhale. It was a test of her patience now.

"I am glad you reached me Kunwar Pratap. Heer, I know you will understand me even if no one else does." Heer frowned at his words like he was a stranger. "Congratulations."