Daughter

Ajabdeh sat staring at the wall full of pictures in Jaivanta's room. She smiled at the larger frame of Pratap and Shakti on ponies, as kids. Jaivanta followed her eyes to the wall.

"Yeh dono kab bade ho gaye pata hi nahi chala." Made her stare at Ranisa.

"You know Ajabdeh... After Pratap, I wanted a daughter. Then Shakti came and my health deteriorated. We even thought of adopting when my mother-in-law said ''Bahu ayegi na, beti se kam thodi hogi...."

O shit! Ajabdeh gulped as a bell rang in her mind, making her want to jump up and leave but she was glued to her spot.

"My sons are my pillars of strength. They made me proud. I have no complaints about them no matter what the world says...'' she stopped reluctantly as Ajabdeh realised she should speak.

"Umm.... I understand Ranisa." Do I?

" Please Beta." Jaivanta smiled "Call me Ranima" In her head, Ajabdeh could hear ambulance alerts. She needed to do something real quick!

"Ranisa I wanted to tell you something." She spoke in a hurry "Woh hum..."

"You know why I chose you for him?" made her stop and stare. No, she didn't. Something in her wanted to know the answer.

"Because I saw you and I knew you are a dreamer, you dare to follow your heart, much like my Pratap." Jaivanta's words made her skip a beat as her fake smile faded into a frown.

"Because I know not many understand his priorities, but he's not wrong, he needs someone to understand him, and you are perfect in that. I feel you two will understand each other best and today, hearing you explain the one proved me right."

Oops! Pratap is going to kill me! I impressed her. Shit!

"Umm Ranisa..."

"Ranima..." she corrected.

"those are just jo likha tha... I didn't..."

"You said it like you believed in it Ajabdeh, we all saw that, even Pratap." Did I? She frowned. I don't even believe in such.... She stopped her thought. Anymore

"Mera bacha bahut sapne dekhta hai. Logo ke liye. Hamare liye." Jaivanta caressed the frame with his and her picture on it, making Ajabdeh smile. "Apne liye kabhi nahi dekhta... I always wanted him to have someone he could dream with, you know Ajabdeh... he has a lot of potential... only different from what his father wants from him."

"I know." Ajabdeh blurted. "I mean..."

"Bas uski papa ko bhi dikhta kaash, jo main aur tum dekh paate." Jaivanta's sigh made her frown.

"Pra... Kunwarsa doesn't tell Ranaji his dreams? Aisa kyun?" She asked.

"Mera beta kabhi kisi ke appreciation ke liye apna dhindhora pitne walo mein se tha hi nahi... and his social works and all don't impress Ranaji. He wants business skills."

"But he has business skills. I saw his..." Ajabdeh stopped wide-eyed at Jaivanta's stare. "I mean... Jalal said..."

"Bas yeh dono ek dusre ko aur samajh le. For me at least." Jaivanta sighed, making Ajabdeh look at her with worry. "Main bhi kya leke baith gayi... you are tired na?"

"No.. it's okay." Ajabdeh got up to leave "Goodnight Rani...ma" Jaivanta hugged her in a warm embrace that made her feel heavy inside.

Pratap arrived at the palace to know from Shakti that nothing happened except he spotted Ranima smiling and talking to Ajabdeh and she in turn was unusually quiet. They had left for the cottages before he arrived back home.