Secret

Pratap leaned back against the cushion of the lounge couch resting his head on the headrest while Ajabdeh sat on the small chair in front facing him, her hands on her knees. Straight. Eager. Nervous? The sky, and stars... the only witnesses... he smiled thoughtfully. Had he ever imagined answering such questions to a stranger he knew for a few days? No. But he was about to. "It was in college." He sat up to look at her. "We were in Grad school." "London?" Ajabdeh seemed serious.

"Yes. Me and Jalal... we were the 'Rich Asians' there!" He smiled.

"Umm hmm... and?" She cupped her face with the palm resting her elbow on her bare thigh.

"There was this girl." He paused to study Ajabdeh's face. She seemed keen and emotionless.

"Go on!" She smiled faintly.

"Salima was a management student from Lucknow. Her dad is an export merchant." "Salima? Is this your..." She raised her eyebrows.

"No... Jalal" He smiled, shaking his head. "As you know, we have grown up like brothers. Never were we ever led to believe we were from different backgrounds or that our cultures differed. Khan Baba and Papa were friends, and so were we."

"Yes. I saw that in him. He sees you as a brother." She agreed.

"Salima and Jalal grew close. I took it as one of his many. We were famous for our not-so-noble deeds. And he was a charmer. Until one night, he came into the dorm after a date with a smile. He said he loved her. I laughed."

"He was serious?" Ajabdeh smiled.

"Pretty serious. He had even told Khan Baba about her, THAT serious. He always said Salima was practical, and never over impulsive, always measured her steps, was able to bind him down, make him believe in love."

"That's..." Ajabdeh searched for the right word..." Umm... sweet!

"Yes. I thought so too. He showed me a ring. He was going to propose." Pratap shook his head.

"Then?" Ajabdeh was eager.

"I was of course happy, he found the perfect one, the keeper." "Umm hmm..."

"Until... he went to propose to her... I drove him there to see her... She seemed happy to agree. Things were pretty smooth. That kind of made me think... It was too perfect and something was not right."

"You did something wrong?" Ajabdeh frowned.

"No. I didn't. I found out she used his credit card for her shopping, bills and whatnot. I kept mum. Out of their way. He decided to move in with her."

"And..." Ajabdeh stopped at his stare.

"She was reluctant... one thing led to another and I grew more suspicious. I did some background checks and found out she was already engaged to someone in Lucknow."

"Oh god! Then what?" Ajabdeh gasped.

"I did what I had to. Shakti said not to as Jalal would believe her but I told him, before moving in or anything, to ask her about a certain Hussain."

"He did?"

"Yes. She accused him of questioning her loyalty and whatnot and blamed me and created a scene. It was like she was trapped and was blaming me as an excuse for escaping her mess." Pratap shook his head. "She said to choose between him and me."

"Jalal did?" Ajabdeh asked, surprised.

"Jalal chose me that day, I was amazed when he immediately asked for his ring back and told her he was sorry he ever loved her and told me to drive back. He was dangerously calm. She stood there shouting ''he will regret it."