Surajgarh

"Aree Shakti Pratap gaya na unko lene? Subah se usko nahi dekha." Jaivanta frowned at her younger son who seemed busy smiling at some text message.

"Umm... Ha, I called him, woh pouch gaye hai." Shakti sat up looking at his mother. "They are on the way."

"Aree Rama." "Ji Ranisa?"

"Aarti ka thaal taiyyar karo."

"Ji." The lady in waiting dashed off to make the arrangements.

"Aarti ka thaal?" Shakti raised his eyebrows. "The last time aapne Dadabhai ka aarti utara tha was when he came back from the UK after his grads!" Shakti had a hint of amusement in his voice. "Aj kya achieve kiya unhone?"

"Bahu laa raha hai ghar, first time... yeh bhi achievement se kamm hai?" Udai smiled at his son who burst out laughing.

" First time! Aur kitne laenge Papa?" He laughed.

"Ohho! Bas kijiye dono. Mera Pratap utna bhi bura nahi hai, usme itna sanskaar diya maine ke shadi aur rishton ka samman kare. Haan mana ke thoda ziddi hai, aur..." Jaivanta was overprotective of her ladla as Shakti's smile faded. Dadabhai I hope aapke decisions se Ranima hurt na ho bas!

The village seemed pleasant to the eyes as Ajabdeh smiled at the passing scenes unknowingly. The huts. The cattle. The meadows and trees. The Pond, The children running. The women with the matkas. The men in turbans. She smiled as most of them stopped to join their hands and bow to their prince.

"Kaafi samman karte hai aapka." Heer sounded almost surprised at them as Hansa gave her a warning stare.

"Haan woh toh karenge hi, itna kaam jo karte hai Kunwarsa apne logo ke liye."Ramrakh smiled. "Hum ne suna hai...."

"Aree nahi nahi Uncle..." Pratap cut in a little embarrassed "Hum waisa kuch bhi nahi karte. Karta toh Shakti hai.... Pura din Papa ke saath woh business sambhalta hai!"

"Tum bhi toh samhalte ho, Ranisa ne kaha humse." Ramrakh smiled as Pratap's eyes widened a little. The last time he went to his apparent office chamber was on the day of the annual report when the media was there and Shakti dragged him to the boring conference. Ajabdeh caught his expression and hid a smile pressing her lips as the car zoomed into the palace complex.

The Surajgarh Palace compound was built by Pratap's great-grandfather and stood on a large acre of land, surrounded by the employees' quarters, Guest houses and servant's houses. The large gate with the sun disk was opened by four men in security uniforms as the car zoomed into the road with a Garden on its sides, fountains and colourful flowers in bloom.

"On the left are the employee quarters, and on the right the palace servants," Pratap said as they went past a fountain in the middle of the road. The quarters had adjoining grounds for the children on both sides and then started a huge orchard of tall trees and shadows.

"As kids, Shakti and I used to escape from the palace and hide here and Ranima would send the securities to catch us and we had our own little game of hide and seek. Beyond these orchards lie the old ruins of the Palace of our ancestors."

"The one you told me about?" Ajabdeh sounded excited all of a sudden as Heer looked at them suspiciously and the parents smiled. They take time out of flirting and drinking and talk too!

"Umm Hmm" Pratap nodded. "That part is now secluded. " Ajabdeh realised her mother's smile and bit her tongue. Shit! I forgot to pretend we are not getting along!

As soon as the orchards gave way to the long road ahead, meadows and flowers on either side, a huge palace made Hansa gasp inwardly. She had attended all of Jaivanta's Kitty parties in their city farmhouse or at the hotels, never had they even been to this traditional palace property. The three-storey palace had a porch and stairs from either side that led up spirally to the entrance of the main palace.