Chapter 13: A Glimpse of the Past- part 2

Mei approached the Gazebo, she kept kept her eyes forward, careful not to look at him just yet.

Silence filled the gazebo and spilled into the entire park. To Mei it felt like birds stopped chirping and the kids stopped playing. Only the sound of them both breathing.

"You look well, Mei." His voice was soft, he looked at her, he was nervous how this would go, what she wanted to say. But he was glad she was there, and he was content with just that.

Mei clutched her hand at her skirt and looked down. He kept going.

"How are yo-" he was cut off, Mei's arms wrapped around him as she pulled him in for a hug. It had been so tense, but that tension turned into intense emotion as she opened herself to hug him.

They held each other there for a long time.

"I've missed you Jake." she mumbled into his neck. Jake smiled.

"I thought you had forgotten all about me."

"We both know thats a lie, your ego wouldn't allow that." She chuckled, her breath on his neck.

He laughed as they separated, looking at each other. "How are you?" He grinned, he was so relieved she didn't look down on him after everything.

Mei nodded and smiled, "I'm doing good, I've grown... a lot." She chuckled, "I think I'm ready to bridge my past and present together. It can't be the same as it was, but it doesn't have to be, new adventures and new people await me, but that doesn't mean I have to fully let go of the old ones to move on." I smile and look at him.

"I'm proud of you" Jake beamed.

"Thanks! So what about you? Is the rest of the gang still together?" she leaned in excitedly.

"Yup, Dean and Timothy are still my brains and brawn. Oh! And we've got this new guy, he's a bit younger but I think you'd like him. He's got your eye for trouble, you'd probably think he's cute." Jake told her.

The pair kept catching up, hours flew by and it was as if they had never been separated. Their position we're constantly switching, one minute Mei's looking up at him from his lap, the next she's playing with his hair, the next he was resting on her shoulder, and so-on as they laughed, talked, and reminisced.

Things were going great until Jake slipped, "... But then Dobald called-"

"Jake"

"yes Mei?"

"How do you not hate him"

Her voice was cold, it was a question, but her tone didn't convey it.

"Because I can't, you know that better than anyone."

"Bull shit and you know it" She growled. "I always thought you were the brave one until that day. I never would've expected such cowardice from you."

Her words were venomous. Jake recoiled as if he had just been bitten.

"Mei, you know I had no choice-"

"You always have a choice."

"No!... no, that's not true. Maybe for you, you've always had an army at your back, but not for me, I had four people! FOUR! One of them was a breath away from dying and the other turned tail and ran! You left."

"You were my best friend, I couldn't watch you go through that! I couldn't watch you give in! You were the strongest person I knew, I wouldn't be who I am today if it wasn't for you. I loved you and you knew it. The thought of you being forced on your knees and enslaved to that man made me sick! I don't hate you Jake, I never could, but that man. I hate that man. I hate him for what he did to you. What he's still doing to you. I saw your shuttle patch ranking, you're his right hand man now aren't you? Big ole number 2. You deserve success but not under him. Donald Na is a monster. He's sociopathic, he only sees people in number value, he disposes anyone who's no longer of use to him. That's what he did with your brother, that's what he'll do to you. The moment you lose, the moment you slip and no longer earn him money... he'll throw you away and leave you to die. Your worth so much more than that Jake, I refuse to let that happen. I'll kill that son of bitch if I have to."

They were both breathing heavy, the elephant in the room had finally been addressed, and unfortunately for it, completely mauled in the process.

After some time he spoke, "Then I just won't lose."

Mei gave in, almost crumpled on the spot.

'Even you, as strong as I know you are, even you can't go undefeated. You know it, so why... WHY?! Why do you keep insisting...'

She wanted to yell at him, so shake him until he gave up but she knew it was futile. They were both stubborn people, together they were unstoppable, but against each other there was no point, it would always be a draw, a standstill.

So instead she just said, "Its getting late, I should get going." And walked out of the gazebo and back toward home.

"Text me when you get home safe!" She heard him call out behind her.

"I will, you better answer when I do." She called back.

No matter how much they yelled and shouted at each other, they were still them, and they'd always be just that.

<3
Hey!

There will be one more part to this arc. Spoiler: Donald will make and appearance and a little bit of makes background will be revealed.

So I kind of see Jake as that guy that she can't really separate herself from, their super close and always will be, and it's obvious theres something there but it's never actually been touched on it just floats there... Idk if that makes sense but yeah.

This one is 1 K words! still shorter than normal I think but a lots going on.

Hasta pronto!