Izumi and Lady Yume

Izumi's POV

I tightened my arms into a shield around myself. Something about the place, that village, was unsettling. The way the inhabitants went about their business despite the darkness that filled the sky in place of the sun. Even the constellations were wrong. I shivered and brought my arms even tighter.

Rin stopped before turning to me. "You don't need to be so on guard." He pulled one of my hands free and took it in his own hand. "You'll get used to the village eventually. I know it's different from what you're used to."

"I'm not a kid," I said. Despite everything... Why did I still trust this guy? Something like gut instinct... "Why do you make it sound like I'm staying... I would like to go home eventually. Surely, someone would notice me being gone." If they haven't already...

"That's not what I meant, but I'm sure you'll be back here." There was something more to his words, but I didn't bother to ask. At this point, it didn't seem that he was likely to give me a proper answer. "If need be, we can quickly send word to your village. Besides, I'm sure you're here for a reason. I'm sure the village head will have answers for you."

. . .

Rin had led me to a building toward the center of the village. It was unassuming from the outside, but from the inside, it was obvious that this was a place of great importance. People shuffled up and down the halls wielding scrolls and books. I was a bit stifled as people pushed past me. It was an uncomfortable environment and even more worrying was the way people caught my sight and turned their faces away as though I was something to be feared. That couldn't be right though, could it? They couldn't know anything about me. It was probably just my nerves being in a strange place nothing more...

Upon climbing a short set of stairs, we came upon a set of wide oak doors. I swallowed and squirmed uneasily from my place behind Rin. He knocked at the door and spoke. "Lady Yume." There was a pause as though he was thinking of the right words to say. "There's someone here to see you."

"I should very well hope so." There was something almost ethereal about the voice. "Come in, I think we have much to talk about."

"Come on," Rin said. He guided me carefully upon noticing my apprehension. "Lady Yume is nothing to be scared of."

"Right..." I nodded and walked through the door as he held it open for me.

Lady Yume looked surprisingly young although there was an air of wisdom to her. The women's hair was a sleek silver that laid across the top of her chest while the rest draped midway down her back. In truth, she looked more like a priest than the leader of a village. Her clothes consisted of a simple, white robe and a near-transparent veil that stopped just before it reached her eyes.

"Welcome, Lady Izumi." She opened her eyes seemingly from a bout of meditation. Her Amber eyes fell upon me suddenly making her seem much older. "I've been waiting for you. Come sit. There are cushions against the wall." It was then that I noticed that she too was set upon a deep red cushion on the floor.

I swallowed as my heart started to beat from my nervousness and the beautiful woman before me. "Of course, ma'am." It was strange to be called 'Lady'. As though I was someone important. As though I deserved that kind of respect. "What do you mean that you've been waiting for me, Lady Yume (plus Rin said something similar...)?"

"There's nothing to worry about... All in due time." Was she avoiding me? I tensed and played absently with the hem of my shirt. "Please, don't give me that look. Rin, why don't you bring Lady Izumi some Tea to calm her down?"

"Of course." Rin bowed before he left the room. The door made a light click as it closed once more.

"Now then." Lady Yume looked at me for a moment in silence. "There's a particular custom of who becomes leader in this village. I and all my predecessors have something important in common."

"Wait... Are we seriously doing a whole history right now?" I nearly threw down the cushion I had just retrieved from the other side of the room. "Can't you just tell me why the hell I'm here?!? Or at the least how to get home?"

"Lady Izumi!" She shouted. I halted almost immediately, entranced by her voice. "Did I or did I not tell you that there's nothing to worry about?" I swallowed and only nodded in response. "If you understand, then sit down." I did as she asked. "As I said all in due time. If you listen carefully you'll understand why some background is necessary."

Whoo, so much has happened since I last posted in this book. Namely, I graduated (Achievement Noise) and I got a new pupper. I'll include a picture next time.