Izumi and Her Own Path

Izumi's POV

Kakashi Sensei's voice took on a scholarly tone as he explained to Naruto and his right hand held up two fingers. "Two techniques," The Jonin said. "' 'Change in chakra form' and 'Change in chakra nature' are crucial for that..."

Naruto seemed a bit mystified as his eyes grew wider by a fraction. "Change in charka form..." His words slowed down as he tried to understand. "And, change in chakra nature...?"

I had the feeling... I laughed a bit to myself. It would probably be wise to get some training in myself, I couldn't leave everything to Naruto. Maybe if I watched for a bit, I could get motivated. There was something about my friend that made me want to work harder too.

Our Sensei held a hand up before himself, looking less than satisfied. "Okay, okay. You can't understand two things at once. I was wrong." He apologized. "Sorry about that." Naruto chuckled and gripped his head in response. Then first let's go with the explanation of change in chakra form."

"Right!" Naruto cheered. A grin lit up his expression.

By now my attention had wavered as I started to pick at the grass and rub the thin blades between my fingers. Training was interesting, but explanations... They most certainly were not. I paused a moment allowing the chakra to flow into my eyes. My vision became overlayed by life energy. Every living thing gave off a certain amount of energy although people's energy was the most noticeable. Naruto was shrouded in his usual bright hue and Kakashi Sensei's energy was a bluish-purple cloud with thin wisps of white. Looking at people like this you could see how wonderfully different they were. All different, but still amazing in their own ways. I smiled faintly as a mossy green aura came into view. Hadn't he been right behind me? Why was he getting here so late?

"Captain Yamato!" Naruto was clearly surprised by the brown-haired man's sudden appearance. "Huh? Why? Why?"

"Kakashi asked me to help out with this training." My sensei said. "I'm sorry for interrupting, Kakashi..." I blinked as my eyes returned to normal.

"No problem." Even behind his mask, it was clear that the silver-haired man was smiling. "And you see..."

"Hey, hey!" Naruto interrupted with an excited grin clad on his face. "Ah!" It appeared the blond teen thought of something. "What type of change in chakra nature is wood-style, Captain Yamato." His face turned to me. "Do you know, Izu?"

I should know that, shouldn't I...? "Well, of course, I know..." I laughed to mask my embarrassment. "As though I wouldn't know something as simple as that..." This wouldn't happen if people were more interesting... Isn't easier to learn by doing anyway?

"Huh?" Tenzo Sensei's face was almost quizzical. "Well..." It seemed the man didn't know how to answer as he placed a hand to his face in thought. Kakashi Sensei came to his side and whispered into his ear. "Uh-huh... Then..." The brown-haired man placed his hands together. "Earth-Style: Rampart of Flowing Soil." Beneath the man's feet, the ground rose nearly 100 feet. His hands came together again in a different hand seal. "Water-Style: Waterfall Basin Jutsu!" There was a mighty crash as the water roared down the wall of earth in the form of a fiercely flowing river.

Wait... Wait... Can I do that??? I looked at my hands and then back up at my Sensei.

"He made a waterfall..." Naruto was awestruck as he stared at the flow of water.

"I have two chakra properties." Tenzo Sensei said. "Earth and Water.

"What?!" Naruto shouted. His voice grew in volume as he placed a hand on his forehead to block the sunlight from his eyes. "You have two of them, Captain Yamato?!"

"Jonin-class Ninjas generally have two or more." Kakashi Sensei broke in. "I've also got properties other than lightning that I can use."

"No, way..." The blond boy seemed more than impressed. "That means that Captain Yamato can use three properties including the wood-style?"

"No, that's not how it works." Kakashi Sensei said.

Before Naruto could ask any more questions a voice answered once more from atop the waterfall. "I can only use earth and water." My Sensei said. "There is no fundamental property known as 'wood' to begin with." He began to draw his hands apart. "I use both simultaneously. Earth with my right hand... and water with my left..." His hands smacked together as a faint smile came to his face. Trees began to spring forth from the rocky outcropping. "If you have two chakra properties... It's not difficult to use each one independently, but when it comes to generating two chakra natures at the same time... It's a different story." He clapped his hands together once more.

"The power to generate a new chakra property by using two change in chakra natures simultaneously is called a Kekkei Genkai. You've at least heard that expression, haven't you?" Kakashi Sensei asked.

"Yeah." Naruto nodded.

"That boy you once fought named Haku used it." My waning attention was caught by the name. Now, that was someone I hadn't thought of in a long time. A lot of things started around that time for better or for worse. There was a quiver in my heart as I tightened my arms around myself and bit the inside of my lip. "He was able to use the Kekkei Genkai known as the ice-style... But he generated 'ice' by using the two change in chakra natures of wind and water at the same time. It's a special jutsu only those from a clan possessing the Kekkei Genkai can use."

The image of Sasuke protecting me from Haku's needles came springing to my mind like a bomb exploding. It clouded my every sense as my arms started to tremble. Geez... I growled to myself as my lips sank into a stern frown. What the hell is wrong with me? I might have had the gall to admit that maybe I didn't hate the guy, but like hell was I going to sit around and grumble about the past.

"I'm going for a walk..." I said. It was doubtful the rest of the group heard me, but I paid it little mind as I started off into the surrounding trees. I was only wandering around the village, so there was no way I was going to get lost. "Hah, it's so familiar and peaceful in these woods~" I hummed to myself as I sat amongst the foliage. As much as I had fought coming back to the village initially, I really had missed it here. "I always wanted Fu to come to the village someday... Mmmm, I miss her..." A gentle breeze blew through my hair as the image of the mint-haired girl filled my mind. As my eyes closed a trickle of fluid slipped from my right eye before being wiped away by the back of my hand. My left hand found its place on my stomach before it squeezed. "I'll protect the seven-tails for you, Fu..." There was a sudden change in the wind that brought me back to reality. "When did it get so dark?" I blinked as the obvious finally hit me. "Wait... Where the hell am I?!?"

Hey folks! I'm not dead (not that I've noticed at least). Life's been more than a little hectic, but here I am. I suddenly had a craving to write here again and try to maybe get back into the swing of things, so here's an attempt at me trying to get my life together. BTW I promise the next chapter will be much more interesting. This chapter and the last chapter were setting up where I want this to go, but next time comes some original content for you.

Until next time!

-- Amy