𝐱𝐢. 𝐴 𝑤𝑎𝑟𝑚 𝑚𝑜𝑚𝑒𝑛𝑡

Fallon woke way into the early AM. She had been tossing and turning all night, her mind never seeming to shut up even for a second. She laid on the other side of the couch, Bucky opposite her as the two felt like they were intruding a bit into the Wilson's family home. She glanced at the corner of the room, where Captain America's shield laid in its covering. She never knew, a symbol that held so much history, such a legacy could just be given up like it was nothing. Like an accessory. And maybe she despised the Avengers before. Maybe it was their ignorance or hero complex, but she detested the weapon that managed to yet again rob her of something and someone she loved.

She gently lifted the covers off of her, her feet touching the cool wood as sat up a little straighter, the sun barely peeking through the window.

"I'm sorry"

Fallon tore her eyes away from the shield, glancing at the super soldier who laid on his back, his eyes trained on the ceiling instead of her. " I don't think I told you that. He didn't deserve that".

Fallon hummed softly, her hands fidgeting in her lap as she nodded gently.

"What was his name?"

A soft smile came over her. " Samson, we just called him Sam. He hated his name".

"He looked like a good kid" Bucky said after a while.

"He was." She muttered, downcast with a gloss of sorrow masking her ocean eyes.  " He wasn't cut out for this life. He never wanted anyone hurt, he was soft like that, caring. He was the smartest of our group, more of a mediator than a fighter. Unlike the rest of us." She drew in a sharp breath, her fingers digging into her palm.

"I should've stopped him when I had the chance" she whispered, a heavy silence stilling between them.

" When Steve died, that shield was the closest thing I had to family. "He said as she looked up at him. "When Sam gave it up, I felt like I was losing him all over again. And then I met you. What you said about him, us. I couldn't stop thinking about it. Maybe you're right. Maybe, we're just trying to save the world, not really focussing on the lives we're changing during the process. But maybe, you're wrong too. "

Fallon raised a brow as he turned his head slightly. " We all have our own shit, we've all lost people. It's up to us how we handle it. You're a good person Fallon, and what happened that day wasn't your fault."

In all honesty Fallon did not really know what to say to him so instead she opted for a "when did the Winter Soldier get all soft" she teased as he mirrored her with a small smile.

"A good friend helped me realise it." He said as she nodded in understanding. "What are you going to do after this is over?"

"I'm not so sure. "she admitted. " I have a sister; I'd like to see her one last time. And you?"

" I need to make up to some people." he confessed.

" We got ourselves into some deep shit haven't we" she muttered. 

He chuckled and she grinned.

"Yeah we did."