𝐯𝐢𝐢. 𝐴 𝐿𝑜𝑠𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝐵𝑎𝑡𝑡𝑙𝑒

" You need to take a break Fal " Aura's melodic voice susurrated with a timid croak as her striking blue eyes fell with concern onto her older sister's hunched frame who sat slumped by the island kitchen table with papers scattered everywhere and mugs clustered at the edge of the table that piled as the days blended together, her hope dwindling with each stroke of the clock.

Fallon lifted her burdened eyes from the newspaper - the one of many -  that she had spent the last month trying to scour the depths of New York to find an opening in a job for her. She sent her sister a reassuring smile as she tried to bite down on the bile rising from her throat at the thought of losing her sister.

" I'm alright Aura don't stress." she dismissed with a wave. " Shouldn't you be with Elizabeth?" Fallon questioned as she referred to her scheduled play date she had with her friend she had met at school.

The girl blushed as she lowered her gaze, her hands wringing together to hide her nervousness. " I, uh, I - " she stuttered as Fallon looked at her amused. " I wanted to help you. "

Fallon arched her elliptical brow at her sister before smiling reverently. She waved her hand, beckoning her forward. " Come here kiddo". Aura ran over as she scampered onto her sister's lap.

" You don't need to worry Aura. I'm finding a plan and that's for me to stress about. You don't need grey hairs at your age. " she smirked before ticking her side eliciting a fit of giggles to erupt from the little girl's mouth. Fallon grinned at the sound. " I promise we're going to be okay. Pinky promise "  she smiled holding her littlest finger for the girl to grasp. Aura looked at her sister with eyes wide and full of wonder. Her petite finger lacing with her sister's. " You know they say breaking a pinky promise will end the world right. " Aura frowned as her bottom lip stuck out into a pout. " It means you can't break it " she said sternly but her eyes portrayed a different meaning.

Fallon smirked. " Does that mean the whole world's going to end?" She questioned. Aura rapidly shook her head.

" No, just mine"

The two girls were startled when they heard thundering bangings from the door before the muffled calls pierced the silence. Fallon frowned as she glanced at Aura who looked at the door in fright. Fallon placed Aura down before she made her way to the door. She looked back at Aura before unlocking it.

Her worst fear stared back at her with its merciless glare.

" Hello?" She asked tentatively, meeting the stare of a red head woman with stoic green eyes and a hooked nose accompanied with two burly men standing behind her, their arms crossed over their chests only adding to their enormous size . " May I help you?"

" Good evening Ms Belcourt my name is Cheryl Jones from Child Protection Services and due to your suspension of payment and inability to cater for Aura Mae Belcourt it has come to my attention that you're unemployment has resulted in us having to come to the decision on deeming you as unfit to raise the girl especially with the eviction notice plastered on your door. "