𝐯. 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑃𝑟𝑜𝑚𝑖𝑠𝑒

It had been two months since all those who perished in the blip had returned. Celebrations and rejoicing flooded the streets as families ran to their loved ones, embracing them in grip impenetrable by the universe in fear of losing their beloveds once more.

Although for many their happiness was short lived. Fallon and Aura were reunited with their mother, seeing the woman's rapturous face with her arms outstretched in front of her, Fallon marvelled how much she looked like an angel with wings spanned out in a celestial radiance.

With her now an adult and responsibilities chaining her to her reality, Fallon had collapsed into her mother's arms with muffled weeps and hushed mewls. Her mother's cherubic tone whispered sweet nothing into her daughter's ear as she cradled her with tender love.

But as in every heroic tale, all good things must come to an end.

Margaret fell ill at the hands of nature shortly after. Fallon opted to retire for a few days to try and nurture her mother back to health, but her efforts and prayers fell on deaf ears.

Margaret Vera Belcourt passed away with her treasures beside her.

Her funeral was held a few days after, two grieving daughters left to mourn their beloved protector once again. Fallon stared at her mother's open casket with spiralling thoughts and despair circling her heart. Her eyes fell to the argent ring adorning her finger, the commodity she refused to relinquish despite the person who bestowed the bond had departed many years prior.

Fallon nimbly ushered Aura forward as she sported a white lisianthus wrapped delicacy in her petite hand. Fallon sent her sister a meager smile as Aura's tearful eyes met her own, she inclined her head allowing for Aura to slowly approach where her mother laid in an eternal slumber. Fallon watched as the young girl with two neatly pulled pig tails and rosy cheeks stood on her tippy toes, placing the flower gently onto the wooden casket.

Fallon approached the casket next. Her hand lightly placing the flower onto the pile, her fingertips tracing the intricate detail engraved in the polished wood. Her blue eyes, somber and defeated soaked in her mother's features for the last time, committing it to memory.

" I'll do you proud mamma"

Fallon left a feather kiss to her forehead as a tear slipped out of her eye and onto the charcoal dress adorning her body.

That promise would be left unfulfilled.