Stormy Surprise

It's been at least 24 hours since the lab incident. As we were all sitting outside on the patio in front of a camp fire with Darius telling the other all a scary story. While I just listened from where I was doing some writing. "We thought it'd be fun. We thought we'd be safe, but . . . we didn't realize the . . . horror waiting for us on the island. Claws . . . Teeth . . . Screaming . . . So much screaming." 

"How much screaming?" Came the timid voice of Ben who held a vice like grip on Kenji's arm.

"Shh! He's getting to the good part," Kenji shushed Ben as he seemed incredibly interested by what Darius was saying.

"The T. Rex stalked closer. Her jaws opened wide," Darius then stopped talking. I think it was for dramatic effect as I lifted my head out of my journal to see his arms stretched wide before a camera flash went off.

I shook my head as I knew Darius might not get to finish his story because of whatever was about to happen as I decided to go see what my sister was up too.

"Drawing I take it?" I gestured to her black journal.

"Writing I take it?" She gestured to my journal, causing me to nod my head a little.

"Why are you even trying to be nice to them?" Yaz asked causing me to tilt my head in confusion.

"Because I can. Why? Am I somehow not allowed to be nice?" I asked a little defensively causing her to quickly shake her head.

"I just thought after you literally shutting everyone out for months after . . . what happened. Well expect for mum. I just thought you wouldn't want the chance of anyone getting close to you again," Yaz tried to explain her reasoning for her previous comment causing me to sigh.

"I made a promise that I wouldn't stop being me. That I'd at least try to make a couple of friends here, even if I don't end up seeing them for who knows how long," I explained looking down at my bracelets before fidgeting with them.

"So, what's the point in making friends if we're not going to see them for, like you said: 'who knows how long'. So, what is the point in even trying to make friends to begin with," Yaz stated causing me to shake my head as I turned around.

"Just forget it," I muttered as I walked back to my original spot.

"No! In fact, you can just stop," Ben yelped from what I gathered Darius was probably going to try and retell the story causing me to feel slightly sorry for Darius.

"Dude, chill. He's not even telling the story right now," Kenji told the frightened boy who only seemed to tighten his hold on Kenji's arm. 

Kenji then tries to pull his arm from Ben's grasp while exclaiming, "and how is your grip this strong?" That caused me to laugh quietly before I went back to writing in my journal as Darius tried to continue his story only to be interrupted by Sammy.

"Shouldn't we call Yasmina over? I bet she'd love this story," I shook my head at what Sammy said knowing my sister likes to be alone. Considering she has no friends at school, even the ones on her track team can't count as friends. But I can't really talk. Plus it isn't so bad being a loner. You don't get hurt.

I also felt bad as I watched as Darius flopped onto the part of the bench he was sitting on before looking at my sister who was back to drawing in her book. I'm almost 100% certain that she is drawing dinosaurs in that book of hers. I also decided to ignore their conversation as I really wasn't interested, because they had interrupted Darius' story. I was enjoying listening to it. Plus, it seemed somewhat relatable considering we are on a dinosaur infested island. Although I did jump when the thunder struck, which caused me to close my book knowing that it was more than likely about to start raining.