26 | his question

WE stayed idle in the car for at least an hour before Wade put the map down and turned the ignition on

WE stayed idle in the car for at least an hour before Wade put the map down and turned the ignition on. He remained tight-lipped about our destination, even though I was bound to find out where we were heading upon arrival. His secretive manners no longer alarmed me, but they did continue to frustrate me.

There must be a reason he doesn't want me to know, I thought. But why?

As long as our destination did not include sacrificing myself in any form, I didn't see why he wouldn't rope me in the loop. I posed no threat to his plan. He was an Alpha, and I was just one of his pack members.

Unless... unless he thought I would think less highly of him if I found out.

What are you up to? I wondered when Wade had finally set the map down. He was not elegant in folding the map up, but after trial and error, he was able to slip the map back into his pocket.

"For your information, I can read a map," he said, pulling out of the parking lot.

"Okay," I said, my voice full of skepticism. "Then tell me where we're going."

In a much better mood than earlier, Wade answered, "A forest."

Blinking with a dull look on my face, I commented. "If you haven't noticed, we've been surrounded by the forest for hours now."

"I've noticed."

"And?"

"I didn't say we were going to just any forest, Violet," I hated the way my name felt so right on the tip of his tongue, like it was meant to belong there. Not only was it destined to be there, but the distance between us should be closed.

I turned my head to the side, stifling my breath. I didn't want Wade to see the effect on me, even if it was a result of the budding rash on my neck.

"Well," I sighed, "You haven't exactly told me where we were going in the first place. I didn't have much to work with, Wade."

From the reflection in the mirror, I could see Wade's hands tightened against the steering wheel as he relaxed his shoulders. "A forest."

"But not just any forest," I explained with a slight smile.

"See," he exhaled. "You're catching on."

Shrugging my shoulders, my smile widened. "I'm a quick learner."

Clearing his throat, Wade started to say, "I'm curious."

He paused, looking over at me. I raised my eyebrows, waiting for him to continue. He took a breath in and explained, "I'm curious." He bit his lip. "I've seen your placement results."

My breath faltered. He saw my placement results. He saw that I only received a 71% match. He knew I did belong; he just knew it. I felt as if some of my worst nightmares were being realized: he was going to confirm the suspicion that I had not been good enough to be placed in Training.