38 | their beginning

"I, Violet Campbell, challenge you, Wade Fischer," I taunted as I circled around my prey, my mate

"You know, a Werewolf challenged—"

"Can't back down," I finished, sauntering towards Wade. "I know."

After the celebrations of the "cure" of Lupoxia settled down, Wade and I slipped away to test out how far we could stretch the bond before we had to be fully mated. Being an Alpha had its protocol. If I was mated and marked, I would have to be introduced and start my new role as Luna.

I wanted to wait until after my Training was over before I took on such a title, and Wade understood. He encouraged me to continue with my Training, but not before he put a pause on Training sessions altogether.

With the eradication of the pack's illness, Wade thought it was time to move Bluestrike from a time of mourning into the next chapter, hopefully, a more light-hearted one.

In the meantime, Wade had taken it upon himself to show me the ropes to Training. I mostly attended to watch Wade's body flex and contort. It was hard to keep my eyes off of him when he looked so good.

He liked to give me a hard time about challenging Beta Finn, even if it had been a couple weeks ago. He was never going to let me live it down, so I did the only logical thing: I challenged him.

Wade and I were currently in one of the open fields near the Training Grounds. We had slipped away from everyone else who was currently still preoccupied with celebrating Bluestrike's good fortune.

Shifting into my wolf form, I lunged at Wade. He saw my move coming from a mile away and jumped out of the way. I growled, running my paw through the dirt. Narrowing my eyes, I lunged again. Wade jumped out of the way, but this time I latched hold onto his hind leg.

He let out a fierce growl and was able to flip me over by the sheer force of his leg. He towered over me, breathing on my face. I turned my head to the side and let him think he had me pinned. When his hold lessened, I propelled my body forward and caged Wade in.

I nipped at his ear, and he howled into the setting sun. With Wade pinned down and underneath me, I shifted back into my human form and whispered in his ear, "I win."

He laughed, his eyes shining. "If this is what losing feels like, call me a loser."

"You are a loser," I breathed, licking the top of my teeth. Leaning down, hovering right over his lips, I said, "But you're a fine good one."

"We can add that to your list," he beamed.

"My list?" I questioned, confused.

"I have a list of things I have to make up to you," he said, his eyes trailing to my lips. "And now you have one for me."

"I don't know," I shook my head with a chuckle. "You can be hard to please."

"Good thing you have a whole lifetime to try."

THE END.

I want to thank you all for taking the time to read His Second Chance. This story was really a long time in the making. While I do think there's still a lot of things to explore with Wade and Violet, their story has come to a close for the time being.

- elle