20 | his chores

I had thought meeting Wade's extended family was going to be the most nerve-wracking part of the night, but that had been before I was preparing for bed

Wade had excused himself after dinner, and I had somehow been able to navigate my way back to the guest room. With not much to do, I began my nighttime routine, and that was when my heart started to jitter in my chest.

As I pulled on the worn fabric of my pajamas, I wondered if I should have brought something nicer to wear—not that I actually could have. I had brought all the belongings I packed for the Training Grounds, but I could have been better prepared before leaving for the Training Grounds in the first place.

My body had been showing signs that my mate was nearby. I had encountered many warning signs, yet I had somewhat pushed them to the wayside and marked them as non-important.

Of course, I knew they were there. My family and friends did not spare me the observations, but I had not digested the warning signs any further than that.

And now, I was going to pay the price.

I hated myself for thinking that way. Alpha Wade had made it clear—at the very least—that he was still coming to terms with the bond simmering between us. And it all boiled down to one thing: he did not want me.

He may not stay firm in this stance forever, but it was how he currently felt, and I felt silly feeling subconsciously about what I looked like in my pajamas.

He wouldn't be looking, I tried to tell myself, but I didn't believe my reassurances.

While he might not have wanted me now, the bond and its effects were still buzzing between us. He'd look, and I knew it because I, too, would look at him. Whenever he would come back to the guest room for the night, I knew full well I'd sneak glances at him.

I'd try to hide my wandering eyes, but I'd look, soak in his appearance.

Mine.

I closed my eyes. He was mine, but he wasn't really mine in any real sense of the word. His heart was chained to me, but it was still claimed by another, and there was no guarantee that would ever change.

Despite our bond, I didn't know if I could wait. I didn't know if I could wait for Alpha Wade to decide if the bond between us was worth strengthening.

Of course, he had not laid the possibility on the table, but I just knew—I knew deep down—I couldn't wait. Or, I didn't want to have to wait; I couldn't quite discern the two feelings.

Thinking of Alpha Wade was constant ever since I found out he was my mate. Never before had one person so wholly consumed my mind. He was always there in the back of my mind, even if I didn't realize it. In short, it was pure agony to have the thought of someone constantly plague your mind.

Pure torture.

My admiration, which admittedly had been lacking these past months, of Dad swelled. I squeezed my eyes harder, nuzzling deep within the blankets and the large comforter I had wrapped around myself.