28 | his comfort

WE spent hours in the pool, leaning on each other as we waited for my heat to taper off

WE spent hours in the pool, leaning on each other as we waited for my heat to taper off. Eventually, once many hours had come and gone, the heat began to subside, instead morphing into a wave of exhaustion.

I was not the only one plagued with exhaustion. Wade had stayed with me the entire time. He supported me when my body grew weary with heat. Being in the pool had been a big help, but it was not a foolproof solution. Wade's presence, however, had been calming, and I felt like I could handle any symptoms the heat brought on if Wade was at my side.

Once I started to doze off in the pool, water gargling through my mouth, Wade made the executive decision to haul ourselves back to the hotel room. It was a feat navigating back to the room, our towels wrapped around our bodies. We had acknowledged our exhaustion, and this acknowledgment had made us seep further into it.

We stumbled through the hotel room. We both moved over to the bed like we were a bunch of zombies. We leaned on the bed, still damp from the pool, and let sleep take us within minutes.

I was the first to wake up. Wade lay next to me, soft snores radiating from his body. Through the gap in the curtains, I could see it was the middle of the night. Reapers were out to play.

Gulping, I was still too tired to do anything but lay down and let my body recover from heat. I shuddered to think of my next heat. Heat would grow in intensity until both the bond was completed and a child had been conceived. Seeing as neither of those two things were in my future, I knew I had many heats ahead of me.

As I thought about my heat, I thought of my best friend, Olivia. If I had been back home, she would have loved to hear every detail of what had gone on in my life the past few weeks.

Mind linking had been blocked when I was at the Training Grounds, but I was no longer at the Training Grounds.

Olivia, I tested the mind link.

Almost immediately, she responded, Violet! Holy fuck, I haven't heard from you in so long. I had no idea mind linking at the Training Grounds was blocked.

It's so good to hear your voice, I sighed, repositioning my head on the pillow. How are things back home?

Not good, she said. A lot of people are getting sick, and apparently, Beta Finn is on suspension and Alpha Wade is nowhere to be seen, which is not a surprise, but, like, hello I think Bluestrike needs their Alpha right now.

About that.... My voice tapered off.

What are you keeping from me, Violet? Wait, did something happen? How are you able to mind link with me at the Training Grounds, she gushed, speaking at a thousand words per minute.

I found my mate, I paused, biting my lip.

He didn't kidnap you, did he?

Not exactly.