31 | her revelation

WADE'S compass vigorously vibrated in the palm of his hand

WADE'S compass vigorously vibrated in the palm of his hand. The needle jerked back and forth. A tiny light emulated from the center of the compass as Wade walked further into the clearing.

"This has to be it," he whispered, running a hand through his hair. He hunched over the compass and stared at it for a few moments before he began to scour the rest of the clearing.

But there was nothing.

"How do you know this—"

"I just know," he cut me off while his voice grew more frantic. "This is it. Something's wrong."

"If you just tell me—"

He was not listening as he continued to mutter to himself. "This has to be it."

He paced in circles around the clearing while I watched from a distance. Wade was slowly unraveling. But the question still remained: what had he come here for?

Earlier, he had said to look out for a cabin. No such building existed in the clearing we were currently camped out at. Even the subtle rumblings of the unknown creatures in the forest relent.

It was like we were utterly and completely alone.

Except for the two of us.

Normally, I would have found some delight in being alone with Wade—even if he was in a mood. He was my mate, and no matter his temperament, I liked to have him near. But he was acting unhinged.

His pacing increased with each moment that passed. His muttering intensified, and his eyes looked frantic.

What was he looking for?

All of a sudden, at the drop of a hat, Wade rooted in place. He laughed to himself, and I was certain he had unraveled completely.

Instead of crumbling right before my eyes, Wade's own eyes lit up with a newfound sense of determination. "We are in the right place."

"You've said that already," I said, crossing my arms over my chest.

Maybe his calmed exterior had not been a good sign after all.

"Right," he acknowledged, but then he continued, "But it's not the right time."

"You're saying we came too late?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows together.

I was still only being funneled half the story. I knew we had been in search of a cabin. I did not know why or when would be the optimal time to arrive. I was just a passenger on the journey.

"No," he chuckled, shaking his head. A strand of hair fell into his vision, and he swept it off his forehead in one fell swoop. "We're too early."

"Okay," I clapped my hands together. "None of this makes sense, Wade."

He shook his head. "It makes perfect sense. Do you know what day it is today?"

"A Tuesday?" I questioned, watching Wade carefully.