.𝐩𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐜 𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐚𝐜𝐤.

▪️▪️▪️

▪️▪️▪️

The next day dawned with the weight of recent events still heavy in the air. The news blared from the television, announcing Joseph Luther's capture and the authorities were quick to arrive at the Princess's residence to take her statement. The media houses from all around the world hovered in and around her old residence, oblivious to the change in her home.

Rhea, upon hearing the news, couldn't hold back her tears. She felt responsible for the chaos that had unfolded because she had fought the case against Luther. She rushed back home last night when Damien called her.

Before they arrived back home, Rhea was already waiting for her best friend pacing back and forth nervously. When she saw the band-aid on Evie's face, she gasped, another tear falling out of her eyes. She took Evangeline in her arms and rushed her to the couch apologizing for the hundredth time.

Evangeline was still in shock and spent a restless night, haunted by nightmares of that dark street and the glint of the knife in Luther's hand. She couldn't shake the fear that had gripped her when her life had hung in the balance. Ever since she was a kid, she was trained to fight the unseen danger, but Joseph Luther was out of his control and brought damage to her in a way that she was not ready for.

After she returned home, all she wanted to do was lay in her bed and have a long sleep, but sleep seemed elusive, a distant dream. Rhea remained steadfastly by her side, a silent guardian through the night.

After Damien had escorted her home from the cafe, he had lingered, torn between wanting to stay and protect her or just leaving her alone for some time. He needed to clear his head, to process the whirlwind of emotions and events that had unfolded in a matter of hours. He found himself grappling with a maelstrom of emotions that he couldn't quite decipher.

Despite the exhaustion that weighed heavy on his body, sleep remained elusive. His thoughts were consumed by one person: Evangeline.

The moment when he had seen Evangeline held captive by Luther had been a heart-stopping revelation. Fear for her safety had surged through him, a visceral and overpowering sensation that transcended his professional duty.

Cleaning her wound, the vulnerability she had displayed, had all stirred something deep within him. It was a mixture of protectiveness, concern, and an inexplicable closeness that he couldn't ignore.

Her hug, unexpected and heartfelt, had taken him by surprise, evoking a warmth that he wasn't prepared for.

The events leading up to that night had also left him in a state of confusion. Going to the wedding, dancing with her, meeting Mrs. O'Connor, and witnessing the different facets of Evangeline's personality, had all contributed to this emotional turmoil.

It was a puzzle he couldn't solve, a tapestry of feelings he couldn't unravel.

He was well aware of the boundaries that should exist between a protector and their charge, but those boundaries seemed to blur in the presence of Evangeline.