.𝐬𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐝𝐝𝐞𝐝 𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬.

▪️▪️▪️

▪️▪️▪️

A piercing scream tore through the veil of night, slicing through the tranquil silence. Damien's eyes snapped open, and his body instantly filled with a surge of adrenaline. His heart pounded in his chest and his pulse quickened, urging him to action. Without hesitation, he flung aside the covers that bound him, his bare feet barely touching the cold floor as he sprinted toward Evangeline's room.

His hand firm as he turned the knob, flinging it open with a violent urgency. His eyes widened, there, amidst tangled sheets and soaked in the cold sweat of a nightmarish realm, laid Evangeline, her delicate features contorted in terror, her body writhing with invisible anguish.

"Ev-Evangeline!" Damien's voice quivered as he called out, his desperate plea piercing the air. He reached out a hand, gently brushing a lock of her sweat-soaked hair away from her face.

Evangeline's eyelids fluttered open. Confusion clouded her gaze, but recognition soon followed as her eyes met Damien's, a mirror of emotions reflecting between them.

A mixture of relief and concern washed over him as Evangeline's eyes met his, their connection instant and powerful. His voice softened as he spoke her name once again, this time with a gentle urgency, "Evangeline, it's me. You're safe now. It was just a nightmare."

She blinked, slowly emerging from the depths of her unsettling dream. Her breathing began to steady, her body gradually relaxing. She assured she was all right.

Determined to ease her mind and offer comfort, he made his way to the kitchen, focusing on the task of preparing a soothing breakfast for her. He had to study the kitchen for a good minute to understand where everything was placed. Then he carefully balanced the tray in his hands with coffee and french toast, he made his way back to her room.

Entering quietly, he found Evangeline engaged in a phone conversation with Rhea, who was still at the office. Setting the tray down on the bedside table, he offered a warm smile. "Breakfast is served, Princess."

With a twinkle in her eyes, she thanked Damien and smiled, "Ah, breakfast in bed. I've missed this luxurious treatment. Are you sure you're not spoiling me too much?"

Damien chuckled softly, a warmth radiating from his eyes. "Consider it a Royal treatment."

She thanked him and took the first bite of the toast. "Mmm, delicious. Rhea would've kissed your hands. She would've kept you here as her chef."

Damien chuckled, a touch of pride evident on his face.

"Would you join me in the church to pray for Alex?" she began softly, her voice laced with a mixture of sadness and hope, "I know I'm asking for a lot, but Rhea's busy. She cannot leave the office and I don't want to be alone. I can't go to work today. I won't be able to focus on anything else."

"You don't have to explain yourself, Your Highness." He declared, realizing that from today, he was not supposed to look after her. The termination paper rested on the table next to her bed and his eyes landed on it. He told her she could go on her own, without a bodyguard from today and there he was, in her room - taking care of her in a way he'd never looked after anyone.