.𝐝𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐠.

▪️▪️▪️

▪️▪️▪️

In the days that followed, life settled into a rhythm of cautious normalcy. Rhea returned to work, her every move shadowed by a bodyguard. Evangeline gracefully juggled her royal obligations, charity functions, and her restaurant, managing her responsibilities with her characteristic grace and determination. Theo had to return to Wellington, but not before ensuring that the girls were safe and secure in their new home. So he decided to meet Damien, to discuss the matter.

During their conversation, Theo's tone grew confrontational. "I'm fully aware that you've convinced my sister to put her trust in you, Whitmore. Frankly, I'm not impressed by your little show. Fancy titles, a team of agents – it doesn't mean a damn thing to me. I only need to know that she'll be safe in your hands."

Damien's voice remained composed but firm. "I assure you, Theodore, I take my job seriously. I've said it already, Princess and Rhea are safe here. Once this threat is neutralized, they can return to their normal lives."

"I don't trust you a bit, you know that too. Apparently, Eve does and so I'm stuck with keeping you employed for her safety. My sister's life is not something I'm willing to gamble with."

'No lives are ever to gamble with, Prince. It's amusing how suddenly concerned you've become. Perhaps you've realized the value of life now that danger has come knocking on your door," Damien retorted with a taunting edge, his words laced with a touch of sarcasm. "It's unfortunate, Theodore, that it took you so long to value life's fragility. If only wisdom had graced you a tad sooner in life, perhaps we wouldn't be entangled in this delicate situation."

Theo's nostrils flared, his anger evident. "Don't play games with me, Whitmore."

Damien leaned in, his gaze piercing. "I don't play games, Theodore. Your sister's safety is not a game for me. It's my duty, and I take it seriously. I've dealt with far more dangerous adversaries and you know that."

Theo's jaw clenched, his frustration evident. He had no choice but to accept Damien's presence, no matter how much he disliked it. "Just remember, if anything goes wrong if even a hair on their heads is harmed, you'll regret the day you ever crossed paths with us."

Damien let out a sardonic laugh. "Regret? Oh, my life has been a series of regrets ever since I had the pleasure of crossing paths with you."

Damien tried hard to keep his composure. At the moment, Theodore was the Prince of Wellington, worried for his sister. Damien did not have to bring the past up and complicate the situation.

Theo's nostrils flared again, his fists involuntarily clenching at his sides. Damien's casual taunting only fueled his frustration further. He bit back his retort, reminding himself that this confrontation was about Evangeline's safety, not his ego.

"Just do your job, Whitmore." Theo growled through gritted teeth.

After that, Theo left Damien's office and made sure to employ a spy to keep an eye on Damien and his team. Theo could never trust Damien, he had his reasons.